PA Fishing, 3-14-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Fishing, 3-14-12

Went up into PA today, 3-14-12, to fish Laurel Lake (~20acres), Cumberland County. I was targeting LMBass and pickerel hoping they would be sunning themselves in the warm shallows. Well, that didn’t happen. Instead I was met with a lake full of trout apparently stocked a couple of days ago. Mostly were nice brook trout in the 10”-13” range, some a little smaller. They were freaking everywhere! (see pics) Each cast of a spinner I’d see 4-6 trout taking swipes at it all the way in until one got hooked. I quickly caught about 20 brookies before it just got a little too hokey, so I set out hunting for bass and pickerel. I was using a jointed Rappala for the bass and pickerel and even that caught a couple more brook trout. Unfortunately I got totally skunked for bass & picks. I’m guessing that every bass and pickerel in the lake was chocked full of small brook trout and therefore couldn’t care less what I was casting their way.

Before leaving home I checked the PA Fisheries website to see what the regs were for this lake this time of year… wanted to be sure I was fishing legal. Regs said this lake was open to fishing year round but at this time trout was strickly C&R until March 31. Ok, I was good to go. But it was just me there and one other old guy fishing this entire 20 acre lake. We were both catching every couple of casts. What’s up with that… what’s wrong with this picture… was I not supposed to be fishing here?!?!? I was getting nervous and starting looking over my shoulder for “the man”. When I got home I rechecked the regs just to be totally 100% sure I was completely legal, and I was. It was loads of fun even though it was still a bit hokey.
    Attached Files
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Nice fish and nice location.

Comment

That's Awesome! I didnt know that they stocked Brook trout anywhere. I've heard of tiger trout (brook/brown cross) being stocked in West Virginia as sort of a novelty, but never true brookies. I've caught a few in maryland over the years and I think pound for pound they are the most agressive and strongest fighting trout.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

that is 1 BEAUTIFUL Statepark ......... fised the stream below it ...... crystal clear and full of trout ......... last time was about 25 years ago ....... up past Gettysburg I think

Comment

Working...
        X