Late Ice in Vermont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Ice in Vermont

Went to Vermont to fish in the local Ice Fishing Derby and visit some family this past weekend. Sadly, the derby was canceled due to questionable ice conditions but I did some fishing anyways. Couple of the fish I caught while I was there. Ended up with 7 Species and had some hope I would get to 9.

Best fish of the trip, just under 20" and almost 7" deep

Smelt

Rock Bass, My first ever through the ice

Northern Pike, just a little guy

Brown Trout, really sweet colors on this fish!

Also caught some jumbo Yellow Perch and one decent LM Bass but didn't take any pics. Good Fishin

Chimo
    Last edited by chimo; 03-08-2012, 06:51 AM.

Btw, I just realized this should probably be on the "General" board... Anybody know how to move it ???

Chimo

Comment

Thats awesome man! You're right, those colors on that brown are pretty intense. Looks like a good time.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Well done, Wayne. That's a nice assortment of fish. The one of you with the northern pike is pretty funny. Could be Vermont, could be Russia, can't really tell from the photo.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

awesome pics and nice fish!
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice! Beautiful fish... you probably woulda won that derby.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

That brown is a beauty. Usually pics don't do them justice but this one came out great. Nice smallmouth to. That one looks like it was eating good.

I miss rock bass. I have not caught one in many years. I need to head north and chase some of those red eyes.

Comment

Looks like some fun fishing on the ice! That brown trout really has nice colors, especially for a stocked trout! (Apologies if it is not stocked, just looking at fins)

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                I miss rock bass. I have not caught one in many years. I need to head north and chase some of those red eyes.
                Or South and West, the New River is FULL of them! There is a spot I fish in WV that you can easily catch 50-100 on a good day.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Looks like some fun fishing on the ice! That brown trout really has nice colors, especially for a stocked trout! (Apologies if it is not stocked, just looking at fins)
                  The trout was almost definitely stocked but several years ago. The Fish Commission stocks several thousand 6-9 inch brown trout every year in this lake in part to help control the alewives population. From the looks of things, it was a male in his spawning colors and he was getting his fins beat up a bit during spawning activities. Thats my guess anyways... As good as the picture came out, the colors were still better in person

Bill, Felt like Russia for a few minutes Wind switched directions 180 degrees and brought the snow with it. Made things a bit miserable for about half an hour.

Chexone, Wouldn't have been fishing that spot if the derby was still on, my brother and I would have been in our honey hole defending our 1st place perch from last year, and our second place finish from the year before (second place by .02 ounces)

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                    That brown is a beauty. Usually pics don't do them justice but this one came out great. Nice smallmouth to. That one looks like it was eating good.

Nice fish, thanks for sharing!

There are a lot of Rock Bass in the Susky and Deer Creek. Last year I caught one in the susky about a mile down from the conowingo dam that was only 1/2" shy of citation.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice catches. Thanks for sharing the story from a different place.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Love ice fishing photos good work man!!!

Been way to long for me on the ice...

Meadeo
                        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
                        X