Occoquan 2/25/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan 2/25/12

This post is a little late but I thought I'd share. Reason being I was away last week.

To begin it was cold that day. Temperature 36 degrees and the ETOA was 9:00AM. Wind condition was 15 to 30 mph winds. Traveling to Occoquan takes me about 70 min from Frederick. When I arrived, I did think....is worth it? Especially when I notice a guy in a jon boat heading to the ramp. He was calling it quits and had enough. He told me he wasn't able to keep the boat anchored to fish his spot on account of the wind. Again I thought...is it worth it?

To my surprise it was and I'm glad I stuck it out. I didn't have a problem going out because the wind was against my back. Mother nature became my personal trolling motor. All I had to do was work the rudder.

I fished the docks and got a couple of hits but they were small. I was using a 1/16 ounce jig with a yellow 2" grub, short crappie stick with 6lb test. I stayed there for a little while to shelter me from the wind. I decided to head underneath 95 bridge for bigger slabs. Once I got underneath the bridge the wind was getting stronger.

It was tough trying to stay in one spot. So I position my yak between the pylons and used my paddle as a wedge. This helped, but after some time the water was to ruff and the make shift wedge came loose. After a couple of adjustments I was able to maintain the yak where I needed it. This also helped shelter me from the wind. I caught over 30 fish for the day but I only kept the ones that were legal.

When I was done for the day (around 2pm) I realized I was having so much fun fishing, that I did not give thought to paddling back.....against the wind, white caps. I had one hell of time paddling back to the launch. At times I was paddling my a## off and going nowhere. My fun had ended and the adventure had begun. It took me 45min to make my way back to the launch. Would I do it again, hell yeah!

Under the bridge I was using a 1/16 ounce jig and a 1" black/chartreuse tube. I caught most of the fish using that rig.
    Attached Files
    Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
    Stealth Green Tarpon 140
    Orange Koho Perception

You're a wild man! I guess it was worth it though. So thats where all the crappie went! I was out this past weekend and only caught one. Skunked Sunday. Seeing stories like this is not good for sanity haha. Usually when it's nasty out I dont feel so bad about leaving the kayak out of the water. Now I might have to give it a second thought. Thanks for the report!
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

Sounds like it was worth all the work to get back to the launch after catching crappie all day. I would love to get lucky enough to get into them good some time. Good catch!!
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Nice work. I guess you had good dinner.

BTW. Fishing reports in VA go to Waters Beyond - Virginia. Fishing reports in MD go to The Boatyard.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

BTW. Fishing reports in VA go to Waters Beyond - Virginia. Fishing reports in MD go to The Boatyard. [/QUOTE]

Noted, thanks!
          Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
          Stealth Green Tarpon 140
          Orange Koho Perception

Comment

If you want to transfer this thread to Waters Beyond - Virginia, ask Grilled Sardines or Stupidjet.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great story, great fish!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Awesome report. I have that face mask, too, but I haven't pulled it out this year. It comes in handy on days like that.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                X