Monster Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Catch

What is a large catch from a kayak? I'd be happy right now to catch any fish since I'm so new and I will catch fish. My brother wants to target the strippers in the bay and so do I. We are not ready to fish along the bridge yet. When we do fish there what is a large fish considered. I'm going to practice in the river for flatheads and I don't think I could even pull a small one in around 10lbs. That would be a feat.
    just curious
    David

Let's go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Zvd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5uOE3dPPA&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcJUMjmRkY

I think in summer around our area you could get taken for a nice sleigh ride by a cownose ray. A real good "true" fish around the bridge this time of year probably would be a 30 inch striper. But most will be 20-24" or so.

Comment

I hooked a cownose ray a couple weeks ago while on my kayak in the main shipping channel around the bridge,It had my rod bent over for 30 min.It was down deep,I didn't want to cut the line and loose my rig.It looked like it could kick my butt.

Comment

Wow

That sounds awsome, they can really pull you around.

Comment

If my wife hears you can catch strippers in the bay, my fishing days are numbered!

Comment

Cownose

I fish out of a 10' tarpon 100 and hooked about a 3 foot wide cownose last hear fishing under the bay bridge...that bugger started towing me and tried to pull me between the pilings that lean at an angle...had to use my paddle to fend off the bridge. After fighting him for 20 mins and getting him next to the boat twice, I finally broke him off. I was fishing a light/medium action spinning rod so it was a battle.

Lesson learned...this year, I bought a calcutta release knife (inexpensive @ $7) just for such an occasion....figured it would be good for a quick release / line cut + a good safety feature if I turtle and get tangled up in rigging.

Mark

Comment

keyboard happy

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
              If my wife hears you can catch strippers in the bay, my fishing days are numbered!
              Yeah I get that all the time on other forums....I know I spell it wrong

Comment

i hooked a ray yesterday along the bay bridge. i ended up cutting the line. that thing almost flipped me over. my biggest catch from the yak was this spring during trophy season, i caught a 43inch striper.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

cut them off. its not worth getting flipped for a 5-8 buck rig out in the channel

Comment

Working...
                  X