Occoquan 3/3-3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan 3/3-3/4

I posted a general report in the wrong spot so to try and correct it Ill report here. I went out Saturday, noon-4ish. Launched from the park. It was my first time there so I wasted a lot of time fishing areas that I probably shouldnt have been. I tried to find deep water and found the spot just after the marina at a bend, North of the 95 bridge. I anchored there for a while, but didnt catch anything near the bottom. My FF saw a school of small fish swimming by at 8' so I dropped my rig down and brought up a decent sized crappie. That was all I caught. I ventured to the 95 bridge, but didnt spend much time there. I went out again on Sunday, 8-12. I went after crappie in the docks. I went above Gordon bridge and worked my way down. Shooting under piers and between boats. I got down to the deep spot above 95 and anchored down again. I found a lot of fish in the deeper spot I was at Saturday. Nothing hit and at that point I was fishing for anything. Sunday I got Skunked. Should I be traveling further down near the RT1 and railroad bridges?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I'm told those areas hold fish, but I haven't caught much in the area right around the bridges. I've caught some chunky bass and a striper near the flats downstream of the Rt 1 bridge, however.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I might try those areas then. Stripers should be coming around. But then again I just need to start catching fish to shake the skunk. Ill need to read up on VA regs for stripers. I thought I read that you cant keep them this year?
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

You definitely can't keep them this time of year, and targeting them might be frowned upon or illegal in the VA spawning areas (better check the regs). I was trolling a crankbait for largemouth. I didn't think a striper would hit that lure in the particular area I was trolling it.

Later in March and in April, hickory and American shad can be found in the rocky area upstream of the park. Meadeo targets snakeheads there, too. Watch a couple of Joe's videos (Comeonfish) to see where he finds fish.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I've seen a few of his videos and appreciate the time is takes to put those together. Multiple times I have found myself out there wondering if this is where Joe catches them.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Working...
          X