Good spots under the beltway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spots under the beltway?

How’s it going guys? I live in Alexandria, South of the beltway and am looking for some good kayak spots somewhere near me. I just bought one and have only been out once and it was unsuccessful.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Couple of good spots near you...

Four Mile Run by the waste water treatment plant is very good fishing but the water is pretty nasty. If your looking to catch bass, stripers, snakeheads and panfish this can be a great location and access is easy.

Cameron run running paralel to 66 has good populations of the above mentioned fish as well.

The docks around mount vernon this time of year are full of crappie and perch small jigs and patience and you can find a nice stringer of panfish.

Catfishing all of the above locations can be good if you have qaulity shad or herring baits.

You can also fish directly under the 495 wilson bridge and catch many species bottom fishing.

All of the above mentioned locations are 10-15 minutes from your location from what you have given on the forums.

Goodluck.

Meadeo
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Thanks!

Those sound like great places to check out. Are there well known boat ramps or places to push off from? I'm a little familiar with 4 mile but not much else
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Make sure you have the correct fishing license for the area you are fishing. MD and VA are reciprocal for tidal waters. Fishing in DC's section of the Potomac requires a separate DC license.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I take it the upper Potomac is DC? I have VA freshwater so far. With Trout sticker that was outrageously high. $25. Last year in MD I paid $5. With that I read that I can stay in the middle Potomac area.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

None of the above mentioned places have formal launches worth mentioning but all of them have beaches or shorelines with easy access.

Parking is the biggest issue.

Meadeo
            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
              None of the above mentioned places have formal launches worth mentioning but all of them have beaches or shorelines with easy access.

Parking is the biggest issue.

Meadeo
              I had a feeling that was the issue with Four Mile. I've cycled through there a few times and enjoy the views and actually wondered if the fishing was decent right off that plant. I saw the warm water kicking into the stream there.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                I take it the upper Potomac is DC? I have VA freshwater so far. With Trout sticker that was outrageously high. $25. Last year in MD I paid $5. With that I read that I can stay in the middle Potomac area.
                It is complicated. See http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...eciprocity.asp

If you fish in DC waters (Little Falls to Woodrow Wilson Bridge), you need a DC fishing license. If you are fishing either upstream or downstream of DC, MD and VA have reciprocal license agreements. It is important to know where the boundary line is, and which side you are on at all times in your fishing trip.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I know four mile run creek itself is VA licence but if you go under the 95 bridge into the potomac you are in DC water and need a DC license as soon as you pop out on the potomac. Parking for 4 mile run is a breeze just go to the northern end of Commonwealth Avenue and park in the dirt next to the roundabout. A small rough concrete ramp (perfect for a kayak) is right between commonwealth and the creek. I've only caught crappie and bass but I hear Carp and snakehead are in there too. I've definately seen some huge splashes.

Comment

there is some confusion, no doubt. I think I have a pretty good hand on it. There are three sections of the Potomac, but if you are fishing in a stream or creek and not on the river then the state's license you are in is required. So Four Mile is VA, but when you shoot out to Potomac you are in the "upper" Potomac which is run by DC (thats what I have to look into more). When you get south of Wilson bridge (495/95) then you are in "middle" Potomac. Which VA and MD will both work as long as they're freshwater. I just got stopped near Piscataway and my VA license was good to go. Once you drop below the 301 bridge then a tidal license of VA or MD is required. Hope that helps and Im just going with it haha.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

Another nearby spot worth fishing is Roaches Run. It is off the GW parkway just north of the airport. Parking lot is off the southbound lane opposite of the gravelly point park. A lot of limos and charter buses use the lot as a waiting area for the airport. You can launch off the shoreline there. I fished it for the first time in my kayak in November and December and caught a ton of crappie up to 14 inches along with some bass up to 12 inches. I am sure it gets weedy in the summer, but is probably a good spot to try for crappie and bass now. Just used 1/16th oz jigs and 2" twisters. Good luck!
                      Green Old Town Loon 111
                      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Originally posted by mepps3 View Post
                        Another nearby spot worth fishing is Roaches Run. It is off the GW parkway just north of the airport. Parking lot is off the southbound lane opposite of the gravelly point park. A lot of limos and charter buses use the lot as a waiting area for the airport. You can launch off the shoreline there. I fished it for the first time in my kayak in November and December and caught a ton of crappie up to 14 inches along with some bass up to 12 inches. I am sure it gets weedy in the summer, but is probably a good spot to try for crappie and bass now. Just used 1/16th oz jigs and 2" twisters. Good luck!
                        thanks a lot for the tip! I drove by the other day and wondered about that place. I will be making a trip to the sporting goods section of whichever store I'm in next to pic up jig heads. I was never a fan... I think some of it comes from my lack of jigging confidence. I have a hard time visualizing what my lure is doing underwater or maybe I just over think it.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Im in Alexandria also. My favorite spots to launch in Alexandria are off the GW parkway between Belle Haven Marina and Pirates Cove. All provide great access to good fishing spots. I recommend taking a drive down the GW parkway and stop at the various parking spots on the side of the road and scout it out. My favorite are the areas across from Ft Washington because the deep waters on th MD side and the shallows on the VA side provide a lot of different types of fishing experiences and species. Also, the occoquan is a must for any kayak angler in Alexandria. We had an informal MKF meetup a couple of weeks ago and caught a bunch of crappie, cats, and large mouth. But my favorite thing about kayak fishing on the Occoquan is the Shad run, which I think is going to start early this year. Perhaps in mid March. Give me a holler if you ever want to meet up for Ft Washington or Occoquan. Those are the places I'm most familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by PotomacTide View Post
                            . Give me a holler if you ever want to meet up for Ft Washington or Occoquan. Those are the places I'm most familiar with.
                            Yea that would be great. I plan to get out this weekend sometime. I was around Ft. Washington last week so Im a little familiar with that area. Occoquan would be great too. Ive seen a few videos posted by ComeOnFish and seems to be a cool spot.

Its supposed to rain Saturday and cool down Sunday, but not by much.
                            -Jon
                            Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                              thanks a lot for the tip! I drove by the other day and wondered about that place. I will be making a trip to the sporting goods section of whichever store I'm in next to pic up jig heads. I was never a fan... I think some of it comes from my lack of jigging confidence. I have a hard time visualizing what my lure is doing underwater or maybe I just over think it.
                              Ah, I used to be the same way. Used to just fish with bait and bobbers or spinnerbaits. But a friend converted me and it is a very successful way of catching fish around here. 1/16th jigs and 2" twister tails have caught me tons of white perch, yellow perch, and crappie. I usually rig them two at a time. One on bottom and then another about 14" above off a dropper loop. Use it on 6 or 8 pound test, low stretch line. The far shoreline from the launch at roaches run is fairly deep and has a lot of woody structure. That is where I caught most of my fish, but most of the shoreline is fishable.
                              Green Old Town Loon 111
                              Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
                              X