Point Lookout & Potomac 301 bridge area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout & Potomac 301 bridge area

Fished Saturday and Sunday in the Potomac with some success.

Saturday - Fished out of the Point Lookout State Park and went out in the Potomac around the radio tower for Flounder. Caught one about 21.5" and a bunch of hardhead. Flatties weren't cooperating and then the bite died so we packed it in. Had a nice flounder dinner out of it though!

Sunday - Met up with JJFoley and a couple of other guys and went out by the bridge. Saw one other yaker in front of Aqualand, but I couldn't tell much in the distance. Fished squid, cooked shrimp, and cut up some perch I caught. Nothing but cats and perch. It was a really weird day for the tide. The incoming wasn't very strong and the outgoing was almost nonexistent. We were hoping to track down a school of rock or some hardheads, but it was hard to get fish to feed with out the tide. I've never been out there when it's been so calm. Oh well, we'll get them next time.

Here are some pictures-

I think we got all of the meat....

301 pictures-

Depth finder set up, scotty mount, and hobbit feet

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Great report. Nice flounder too. I don't think you can clean a fish any better than you did. I'm sure it made a fine meal. I'm itching to get into some flounder this year.

Where did you launch by the 301 bridge? The beach area on the VA side?

Comment

Nice post & pics. Ditto on the fillet work! Nice job!

Thanks for letting me tag along at 301. Always great to explore new areas and meet people. While the catching might have been better, that's fishing. Tons of young of the year bunker but only scattered harassment. I'm sure if there was decent current movement there would have been more action.

mmanolis2001, yes, we launched from right over the bridge in VA. My first visit there but it does look like it can be a productive area.

Comment

jffoley, spend some time working #12 - #18 and always concentrate on the end that the tide hits first. Outgoing is slightly better than incoming.

Comment

Capt-C,

Where are #12 - #18, bridge pilings? We were looking for the Bar at 1 but the tide never brought us back down, so we fished on the bank near the crab pots. Tons and tons of peanut bunker in there, I wished I had a small cast net for the yak.

Was that you by Aqualand?

Comment

Bridge piers should be numbered, at least I hope they still are. Numbers 12 and 18 are doubles (every 6th one). I should have said 12 thru 22. Numbers 16 annd 22 have been really good at times.

I was below the plant for less than an hour on friday the 16th with only 1 dink in on the beach. We caught 25 croakers that morning up in the Wicomico. Haven't had much fishing time with company here. After this weekend it's my turn.

Comment

Capt-C

I'm going to head that way this week, hopefully a couple evenings pending how much work I have. My buddy has been killing them at 30 the past two weeks, but they should start showing in better numbers around 35 and the bridge soon I hope.

Do you have any interest in heading out one afternoon this week?

Comment

Say when. After Tuesday night the winds should be doable on the VA side. Tides for the bridge are better each day. High tide on Friday is listed as 3:38, so the outgoing should be rolling at the right time. Any interest in a croaker hunt? OR we could do Aqualand and try the plant, but not the best tide for MD shoreline.

Comment

I'm up for Croaker or chasing Rock. I think I have to head to NYC Thursday so Wednesday would be better for me. I can be there as early as 4.

Comment

Wednesday is good. See you on VA side around 4:00.
                    Bob

Comment

You guys up for making a bit of a flotilla? If you don't mind another yak in the fleet I'd be interested to join you and the chase for rock and/or croaker. Will work on the necessary passes...

Comment

John, sounds good to me, I've got a pass till Thursday, so I might be at Gravely tonight as well.

Comment

Drat! I'll bet I could tonight but to go home first and then head over there will be a traffic nightmare. Gonna have to keep a change of clothes in the car for such spur of the moment opportunities.

Comment

The more the merrier, looking forward to meeting you both. Now if only some fish will cooperate.

Comment

Great! Looking forward to it and meeting you as well. Although, I got a message from my colleague this morning that power was out at his house overnight. If he doesn't show up at work today I'm beat and won't be able to leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X