What works best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What works best?

This is a pretty broad question. I have been fishing the upper bay tidal rivers, inlets etc. Should I be bottom fishing? What works best around the docks and shallow areas? Rigs and bait? So much info out there. I guess since Im just getting started I want to keep it fairly simple if thats even possible.

Target species?

Comment

Ideally I would like to target largemouth bass, smaller striped bass if they are even in the smaller creeks etc. All I seem to catch is perch by accident, which is ok but not my target. I have caught perch on senko worms, real night crawlers, and berkley minnows. Havent had any luck with topwater lures over grass, probably just inexperience. Due to the time of year should I only be focusing on a certain species? Thanks to everyone for the help. So much to learn.

Comment

Largemouths, white perch, and schoolie stripers are pretty abundant right now in the upper bay and tidal rivers. The amount of tackle and tactics on the market is a bit overwhelming but every fisherman has his "go to" lures and techniques. Here are a couple of mine for largemouths and resident stripers.
        1. 1/2 oz silver Rat-L-Traps along dropoffs and channel/structure edges. The trap is my favorite lure. I've caught hundreds (possibly thousands) of fish on traps including largemouths, smallmouths, perch, walleye, stripers. It's perfect for a beginner because it just takes a fairly fast, steady retrieve and the 2 trebles often set themselves with the retrieve speed. No finesse needed. Baitcaster recommended.
        2. 7-inch pumpkinseed plastic worm Carolina rigged around structure (i.e.,docks, logs, grasses). If you can get vertical then I prefer to use a dropshot rig.
        3. 4-3/8 inch Rapala floating jointed minnow in perch or silver. I use this with a topwater retrieve (slow) over the grasses in early morning or at dusk.

Comment

Thanks man. Looks like I'll be hitting the store this week. It is definately ovewhelming at first for sure.

Comment

At first and last light, topwaters around structure an be great, bounce the lure aginst the structure, you need to get that close. switch from trebles to single hooks, and dont set the hook until you feel the weigt of the fish. You can also remove the trailer hook and attach a 18 in leader with either a fly or a 5" assassin, no weight or 1/4 at most. fish the topwater as you normally would. Have fun

Comment

Toss a rubber worm under the docks and work it slowly. You are bound to eventually get one this way...although this finesse may get a little dull. Oftentimes they will strike as it falls so you have to be on guard for anything that feels a little odd on the end of the line since it won't take off with the worm, just suck it in. Set that hook if you even suspect a nibble. I seem to have better luck with plastics, but it's probably a little superstitious...once you catch a few, it becomes your go to method and perhaps a self fulfilling prophesy. I also like spoons that are weedless. If you are catching more perch, you should probably up the size of your lure.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

I use flukes in baby bass color with great success on the Potomac and other lakes and rivers in VA. In calm water I like to fish it by letting it sink and giving it a small tap to make it skitter. In moving water, I cast upstream and swing it by just keeping tension on the line and slowly reeling to keep up. Both are effective. If I need to get deeper I fish it on a weighted swimbait style hook. Some people like them on jig heads, I have never had much success in this manner except on sea trout.

Another great lure if you're casting under docks would be a soft plastic worm fished "wacky". I think it's a dumb name, but hey that's fishing right? This tactic has proved very successful for me on highly pressured fish. I get some of the berkly powerbait (I think that what it's called, they are scented) finesse worms and fish them on a small size 1/0 circle hook. You'll feel some weight on the line and sometimes some throbbing as the bass mouths the bait, give it a long pause then reel as you slowly lift your rod and you should get them.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Did you get into some freshwater fish?
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Sorry, I started a new job and haven't been on in a while. Had some real good luck on vacation fishing for flounder with Gulp in Indian River. Hope to get out on the water this weekend. Maybe Rocky Point area if weather is tame.

Comment

Working...
                    X