SoMD trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoMD trout

Pre-season trout stocking is well under way. My officemate, Carlos, and I popped out for some quick lunch-time trout fishing.

One of Carlos' bigger fish:

I caught my first (tiny) golden trout:

I caught a few bigger ones as well:

Between the two of use, we hooked around 14 fish and kept our limit of 5 each. Except for the golden trout, all the fish were between 11 and 13 inches. The hot lure was a white Rooster Tail. We started off using 1/16oz, but we lost a few fish when they jumped. I had a 1/8oz white Rooster Tail that seemed to hold fish better because of the bigger hooks. It was an excellent way to spend our lunch break and the action made up for some of the slow days I've had lately.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Bill you know that all stocked trout are keepers
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Wow, nice... Trout!
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Good job Bill. My friend in Chesapeake Beach sent me photos of all the trout he and two other guys caught today.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sorry for the ignorant question but.. are these trout in the bay??
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by OBX_RAT View Post
            Bill you know that all stocked trout are keepers
            Yeah, the ones we hooked that we didn't keep jumped off the hook before they got to shore. I saw them, so they count. I let the golden one go because it was barely hooked and someone else might get a chance to see it or catch it. Plus, it would make a better meal for the nice bass I saw lurking around.

Mike--DNR stocks a number of local ponds around Charles and Calvert Counties. The one at Calvert Cliffs Park is the closest to me. Several of us caught trout from our yaks last year in Wheatley Lake at Gilbert Run Park, and I think the pond and lake at Myrtle Grove, near Indian Head, gets stocked, too.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Equally big news is the change in hats, at least the smile is intact. Thanks for the report

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Yeah, the ones we hooked that we didn't keep jumped off the hook before they got to shore. I saw them, so they count. I let the golden one go because it was barely hooked and someone else might get a chance to see it or catch it. Plus, it would make a better meal for the nice bass I saw lurking around.
                Dont you just hate it when them little buggers jump off the hook I know how that goes, happens to me too LOL
                '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

see you didnt have that big scary hat that frightens the fish away

Comment

I was sporting my special sky camo blue fishing hat. It helps tall guys blend into the background. Actually, a bigger golden trout was about to smash my spinner after following it, but it must have spotted me because it veered off quickly at the last moment, the little punk.

Rick--the fish were jumping so much that it reminded me that there are no rainbow trout, only land locked steelhead.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                    X