Kayak Spots Upper Bay Baltimore County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Spots Upper Bay Baltimore County

Hello everyone. Started Kayak fishing about a month ago and love it. I really wanted to target largemouth bass but have had issues finding a good place to fish. I currently can't use the resevoirs due to the lack of boat permits this year and zebra mussel policies if you use your boat in other bodies of water. I live in Towson and have fished out of Dundee Creek with littile success. Any other recommendations close by where I can put the yak in the water. Looking in the Baltimore County upper bay area. Thanks.

Not exactly Baltimore County -- but if you go a little west, you can fish Piney Run. I fished Dundee last year and did a few trips to SPSP.

I think my first outing for this year is going to be chasing cats & bass out at Piney Run in Carroll County

Mark

Comment

I have had a lot of luck in the lower Susquehanna near the mouth of the bay launching from Lapidum. There are alot of structure holding bass along the western shoreline.

I would give the Dundee Creek area a little more attention. Mid-Atlantic Game & Fish named it one of the 5 best places for bass in the state. The other 4 were Conowingo Lake, Rocky Gorge Res., Loch Raven, and Deep Creek.

Comment

There is also Mariner Point Park in Joppatowne, which is just over the Baltimore County Line in Harford County. You can fish the Gunpowder River from there. You can fish the railroad bridge. You can fish the Foster Knoll Branch from there. Also you can fish the old stand-by docks that are all over Rumsey Island.

Comment

I live in White Marsh and spend almost all my time in the upper bay. Like others have said, Dundee is a good spot and then over into Saltpeter. There are often bass tournaments that launch out of Dundee and I regularly see bass boats hoping around the shoreline and duck blinds. The great part about Dundee (and the Gunpowder) is that it is relatively unspoiled by real estate and has been left pretty much natural. I haven't found a lot of places like that. The reason is that the proving grounds are nearby. Seneca is a good place as well. Another spot to check is Wilson Point which has a free launch site next to Martin State Airport. There are a lot of docks to fish around. I've just started going to the Susquehanna Flats and it seems to be productive as well. Someone also mentioned Days Cove area but I haven't been there yet. I've been to Piney Run recently which is a nice place to go as they have large mouth and hybrid bass in there, not to mention catfish walley and perch. You'll pay a fee to get in, $5 (unless you buy the season pass) but you can fish the fresh water without the permit issue like Loch Raven, Liberty, or Prettyboy. I was right next to a guy fishing for blue gills with his kids and caught a 3lb bass on a tiny rod...the guy thought he'd snagged a rock. If you get a permit for one of the reservoirs let me know how the fishing is. I'd have a hard time keeping the 'yak confined to one place unless the fishing is REALLY good.

There really are fish everywhere. It's just catching them is the hard part :-)

Someone mentioned about top 5 places to fish in MD. Here's the link to that article: http://www.midatlanticgameandfish.co.../at_aa020602a/

http://www.midatlanticgameandfish.co.../at_aa020602a/

Conowingo Reservoir is on there as well but I've never given it a shot. I'd like to try this season and I'll post once I get there.

The hardest thing for me is finding a place to launch that isn't private land. There's lots of shoreline out there, but there seems to be few places to put in.

Good luck getting out there and if you find some other good spots I'm all ears. I'm always on the lookout for something different.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

fishing baltimore county.

Hey there
            you can fish pretty boy, they still have some permits left. I live in jarrettsville and i have been fishing at codorus state park in pa. its only $12.00 for the permit but the fishing license is like 55.00 .......if you ever wante to go bass fishing let me know and i will take and put you on some fish.

have a great day

Oh, and you can do everything on line for pa.

Comment

Working...
            X