Ocean City, MD 6/11-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean City, MD 6/11-15

I will be headed out to ocean city with the kayak to hopefully catch some flounder. I've been making some rigs this week at work and I've been reading the fishing reports. Looks like flounder are being caught on just about everything. I think I'll still to squid, soft crab and maybe minnows.

Any suggestions?

I've always used the squid & minnow on a fishfinder rig from a boat. Drop it back when you feel the weight. Kept it simple with no spinners although some guys find they work well. I never did. Use a bucktail tipped with a twister tail or squid as the weight. Double the chances! If a good flounder (called fluke in my home waters up north) hits the bucktail you'll know it!

Reading recent reports a gulp minnow on a jig works well. I would try that. Use 2 rods, one with the squid/minnow combo in a holder and work the gulp jig with a 2nd. Back in my surf fishing days slow bouncing a Hopkins along the bottom would produce.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Comment

I've been flounder fishing OCMD for 15 years. I was down 3 weeks ago and caught about 50 over 3 days. 3 keepers. I have always used a simple 3-way swivel bottom rig. I either use minnows solo on the hook or a squid and shiner combo. Some buddies always seem to try some different rigs like spinners, bucktails, etc. but I have yet to see a rig that consistently catches more fish than the simple bottom rig. Minnows were the bait of choice in the 62 degree water.

Comment

Originally posted by MDSmith370 View Post
        I've been flounder fishing OCMD for 15 years. I was down 3 weeks ago and caught about 50 over 3 days. 3 keepers. I have always used a simple 3-way swivel bottom rig. I either use minnows solo on the hook or a squid and shiner combo. Some buddies always seem to try some different rigs like spinners, bucktails, etc. but I have yet to see a rig that consistently catches more fish than the simple bottom rig. Minnows were the bait of choice in the 62 degree water.
        Thanks for all the info jj and MD...That's my plan to fish two rods with a lil different bait to see what is running better, but both with the 3way swivel rigs.

MD-how heavy a sinker were you using and what style hooks, I have a few specific flounder hooks but otherwise circle hooks?

Comment

I use flounder hooks. You can get them at any tackle shop around OC and they are called flounder hooks/rigs. The hook isn't a circle but kind of a weird shape and they have really heavy leaders. You need to set the hook on a flounder so I wouldn't recommend circles.

I start with a 1 oz sinker and stay with it if I can keep on the bottom. Usually once the tide gets moving I have to switch to a 2 oz.

Comment

I mentioned bucktails. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oKzzpM0-qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqNJKe5gySM

It was posted on Tidalfish. Makes me homesick. Sniff... But I like those Spro bucktails. Use 'em for rock as well.

Tight lines!

Comment

Interesting. I may try this when I go back down in a few weeks. My only concern is the shell beds especially from the Rt. 50 bridge to the thorofare. That hook will snag alot of shells. The live minnow keeps the hook a few inches off the bottom. That's basically my rockfish rig when I'm casting. I usually just add a twister. I will have to try the Gulp.

Comment

I believe the weird shape hook you are referring to is a Kahle hook. easy to find and rig up. You can also using a floating jig head to keep the bait off the bottom, the sinker should snag far less frequently. If you are snagging too much, attach the sinker with a heavy rubber band or two. if they break, replace the sinker. Also, suddenly releasing the tension will frequently cause the sinker to rebound out of the snag. I'll be spearfishing off shore on sat. Good luck with the flounder.

Comment

Kahle hook is the right name. I've always used Carolina rig with a Kahle hook 12-18 inch leader below a swivel and usually a half ounce sinker or whatever it took to hold bottom. Just keep pressure on the rig and you'll feel it rolling around. When you feel the tap tap tap, count to 5 and then reel and set the hook. If you're missing them, try waiting a little longer for the flounder to turn the bait around in it's mouth.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X