gifford pinchot state park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gifford pinchot state park

a great spot that I go to, is Gifford Pinchot state park in May. I have caught several 5 pounders there. they have a day park. You can go onto the PA website and get a kayak permit for $12.00 per year, and you can use it at all the state parks. They have a wonderful camping area. It would be great place to have little tourney. GPSP is a catch and release area. Its near ski roundtop.

I've been there many times using my canoe. However, I haven't launched there for at least 3-4 years. I favor the upper-end launch site, lots of weeds up there, weeds are my forte. I would do fairly well with lmbass during the spring using weedless soft plastics on the surface, or slightly under.

Also tons of sunfish that gather in the shallows during May for spawning. They are sitting ducks for a popper. But unfortunately, I have yet to catch one there that worth the effort. They all seem to top out about 6"+ and that's just not big enough to float my boat. I'm guessing they must be stunted in that lake.

My last trip there I hooked into a small member of the pike family. It was about 14" long and the only only one I have ever hooked there. But it slipped off at boat side before I could ID the species. So dunno if it was a pickerel, northern or musky... have any thoughts about that?

Have you (or anyone) ever fish Long Pine Lake in Caldonia State Park in southcentral PA? Extremely beautiful lake nestled right in amongst the mountains, maybe 150 acres. I've only launched there once. Water extremely clear, like 15' clear! I saw several nice bass but they are waaay smarter than I was.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
    X