No Shad, No YP, Crappie only in Occoquan, VA – Feb 11, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Shad, No YP, Crappie only in Occoquan, VA – Feb 11, 2011

Because of the strong wind (gust up to 40mph), there was none fishing in the early morning. However the river was dead calm (before the storm).

I fished for shad for two hours for the heck of it. I knew it was too early for shad. I guess I have to wait until the middle of March for shad

Later, there were two boats, a canoe and two kayaks (I and Rock Chaser) in the river. It was nice to meet Rock Chaser.

I fished for YP for about 3 hours. While drift-fishing for YP, I had one line on the bottom for catfish. I had no luck

I fished for crappie later because I didn’t want to be skunked twice in a row. I caught 4 small crappie @8-10 inches. And the wind picked up. Meadeo called to warn me of the wind gust and snow where he was at. The air temp dropped fast. Rock Chaser came to me to make sure that I was OK.

I wanted to fish 10 more minutes to catch a large crappie. So, I decided to use Smelly Jelly. Once I put Smelly Jelly on the lure, I caught 3 crappie at 11-12.5” immediately but no 16 incher.

My fishing Log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I was hoping you weren't out there, Joe. My mother called me asking if I was fishing because they just had a 10-15 minute snow squall at their house, which isn't too far from the Occoquan. She had never heard of a snow squall before that. Right before and right after that, it was relatively sunny. I thought you weren't fishing or I would've given you a heads up.

I bet your wife was happy you had to break out the Smelly Jelly.

It's still really early for shad. I keep an ear out for reports from the James before I even start thinking about them.

If you don't have any luck jigging for yp, try slowing down the lift or not lifting quite as high. Almost all the yp I've caught on a Silver Buddy hit lure when it hit the bottom or when it just comes off the bottom. Of course, it's also possible they're not there.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Glad you were able to get off the water safely.. That storm was something else..

Also glad you found some slabs on the docks to round out your day.

I hope to be on the water this upcoming weekend.. Lets hope the perch decide to show up.

Nice Video.

Meadeo
      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
        Glad you were able to get off the water safely.. That storm was something else..

Also glad you found some slabs on the docks to round out your day.

I hope to be on the water this upcoming weekend.. Lets hope the perch decide to show up.

Nice Video.

Meadeo
        Do you know what the pre-spawning area means?

Some caught many YP in the pre-spawning area in Occoquan. I think the warm water keep YP out of the deep part of the river. YP are staying in the pre-spawning area in Occoquan according to the anglers who don't reveal the spot.

That is my home work until I go for tog.

joe

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Someone told me around the old railroad bridge..

Should check it out

Meadeo

Comment

Someone told me around the old railroad bridge..

Should check it out

Meadeo
            That is the south of the 95 Bridge. Right? I have both Fresh and Saltwater Licenses.

I am going to hit the place next week Tues or Wed.

joe

Comment

Thanks for the report Joe. This is Seasalt from P&S.

I had a question about your experience with Backyard Boats. Do you think you can PM me about it? They seem to not to budge on their list price of their kayaks. And their used kayak prices are most the same prices as new ones.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

A guy next to me today caught four nice Yellow Pearch

Good news, while I was fishing next to Hoffmaster's Marina (Occoquan River) today. A gentleman on a green jonboat next to me caught four YP; all I caught was Crappie & Bass under the docks during the same time period.
                US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mcveyr View Post
                  Good news, while I was fishing next to Hoffmaster's Marina (Occoquan River) today. A gentleman on a green jonboat next to me caught four YP; all I caught was Crappie & Bass under the docks during the same time period.
                  Were you driving a full size truck (Dark blue? Chevy?) with a truck bed extender? I was there today after work. I didn't see any kayaks. I talked with anglers on three different Jon boats. They were catching small YP and occasional keepers.

I went to the rail road bridge and jigged a Silver Buddy and a grub at the same time. I hooked three big ones (cat, bass or YP foul-hooked). Somehow they all got away. There was a wide concrete boat ramp south of the Rail Road Bridge, East side.
                  There were two guys on a Jon boat. They stayed 30’ away from the end of a dock (the first dock, south of the boat ramp). They caught some bass, about 15+ YP and 4+ keeper YP for 1.5 hours.
                  I caught 2 YP at 6-7” on 2.5” grub near the place in 18-19’ of water.

BTW, I saw a pink container on their Jon Boat. They were using Smelly Jelly.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                    Thanks for the report Joe. This is Seasalt from P&S.

I had a question about your experience with Backyard Boats. Do you think you can PM me about it? They seem to not to budge on their list price of their kayaks. And their used kayak prices are most the same prices as new ones.
                    SeaSalt,
                    I think it's very hard to find good used Hobie because the demand is high nowadays.

So I didn't look for a used one. I bought a demo.
                    I paid fair price for my Kayak at Annapolis. Once I hit the First Island once, my kayak looked about 10 years old.

I will call Annapolis tomorrow. And, I am sure someone on the forum can help. Do you want a Revo? Do you care about the color? (I didn't care about color.)

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      Were you driving a full size truck (Dark blue? Chevy?) with a truck bed extender? I was there today after work. I didn't see any kayaks. I talked with anglers on three different Jon boats. They were catching small YP and occasional keepers.

I went to the rail road bridge and jigged a Silver Buddy and a grub at the same time. I hooked three big ones (cat, bass or YP foul-hooked). Somehow they all got away. There was a wide concrete boat ramp south of the Rail Road Bridge, East side.
                      There were two guys on a Jon boat. They stayed 30’ away from the end of a dock (the first dock, south of the boat ramp). They caught some bass, about 15+ YP and 4+ keeper YP for 1.5 hours.
                      I caught 2 YP at 6-7” on 2.5” grub near the place in 18-19’ of water.

BTW, I saw a pink container on their Jon Boat. They were using Smelly Jelly.

Joe
                      Yes that was me (Black Chevy Silverado Pickup Truck w/ Bed Extender), I was fishing out of my olive/green Hobie Pro Angler next to Hoffmaster's Marina, and yes I was using Smelly Jelly to entice the Crappie to jump on to my jigs too.
                      US Army (Retired)

Comment

Tap Tap.

Thank you for the scouting info... We will put it to good use this weekend..

Hopefully we see you on the water.

Meadeo

Comment

Tap Tap.

Thank you for the scouting info... We will put it to good use this weekend..

Hopefully we see you on the water.

Meadeo
                          I will stop by between 10:00am - 11:00am. I will find you.

Joe

Comment

SeaSalt,
                            I talked with Dennis at Annapolis Backyard boats. Do you live in Northern VA? You can test drive/fising my Revo for now. The dealership is not ready for the test drive yet.

When you are determined/decided, you see the sales person

Give me a call at 703-282-3816. It is hard to explain over the PM

joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I can’t be there this Saturday to fish you. I am going to attend the first "On The Water" meeting being held by the Tidewater Kayak Angling Association (TKAA) at Bob's Landing (NW River) on Saturday .
                              However, on another note, I am looking to partner up with anyone else who might be interested in fishing Kayak Wars and /or River Bassin Tournaments this year. Let me know if you are interested or know anybody else who might want to do some of these events.
                              US Army (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                              X