Skunk at the Hot Ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk at the Hot Ditch

After getting some suggestions for Virginia Beach fishing spots over the weekend, I decided to try the Elizabeth River Hot Ditch today. The nearby launch spot is no longer available, so I had to launch at Top Rack Marina ($5 fee). Most days of the week they are open until 10:00 pm, but on Mondays they close the gate to the parking area at 5:00. I did not realize that until I got there, and needed to be back to the parking area by 4:30 to allow loading time.

I launched at 1:20 and paddled a bit more than a mile up to the Rt 64 bridge where I started fishing. The waters in the channels around here are warmed somewhat by a nearby power plant discharge. The water was flat calm with pleasant air temperatures. I trolled three rods for nearly three hours without a single bite. I ran different combinations of Mirrolure, Rapala XRap, spinner bait with root beer minnow (the lure that caught my first ever redfish in Lynhaven), and Gulp baits.

I paddled slow, medium, and occasionally fast. I tried shallow areas near the channel edges, mid-depths (4-10 ft), and deeper areas in the middle of the channels (12-16 ft). At one point I saw lots of fuzzy screen marks (see photos below) and paddled through those zones for hundreds of yards without a touch.

Near the end of the trip, I paddled across a shallow bar near a point. The rod with the XRap started shaking a bit. I excitedly began reeling in but soon realized there was not much extra weight. It turned out to be a silver dollar sized oyster shell that snagged on the rear treble of the lure and changed the hydrodynamics of the lure. At least I had 10 seconds of pullage!

I talked to a few other kayak anglers I met. They had caught a few fish, but overall it was a slow day.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

did you try over the oysterbars by ches. yachts?
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
      did you try over the oysterbars by ches. yachts?
      Since I did not know the area in advance, and had no fishing partner for Monday, I trolled around many different areas that had been indicated on several YouTube videos I found, including in front of Chesapeake Yachts facility. The oyster shell that caught on my plug was just across from the yacht club ramp. I very well may not have fished over the optimal areas.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have found that darker colored soft baits work well there.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

i don't understand. did you get skunked, or did you catch a shellfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
            i don't understand. did you get skunked, or did you catch a shellfish?
            I snagged an empty oyster shell. In my opinion, that does not qualify as a caught fish. Therefore, I registered a skunk.

Usually when trolling in relatively shallow waters for several hours, I will snag at least one rod on bottom debris or a branch. I did not even do that on Monday.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

sounds like a day that they didnt want to chase a lure. sometimes they just want meat.

Comment

Working...
              X