Length of anchor rope??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of anchor rope??

What's a good length for the Bay area, 25', 50', 100 seems too much...
    Just wondering.
    thanks
    David

i use 50'. usually dont anchor deeper than 20' and the extra gives me enough to adjust position

Comment

I keep 50 as well, but have a second smaller anchor (50 as well) and an extra 25 in a seperate bag. This way I can drop 2 anchors and hold better in 1 spot. I also have the anchor trolley set so I can run the anchors off the stern and a chum pot off the bow. Also gives me the option of anchoring a little deeper.

Comment

thats a good idea, what do you use as a chum pot? i run a trolley on my starboard side and run the anchor off the port aft since im right handed i fish mainly on the port side i usually put a minnow bucket or stringer on the trolley and run the anchor through a 3.5 ss spring clip and a couple ss pad eyes to a cam cleat on my left

Comment

if i am going to be out a long time, a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it. You can also use a smaller bucket, just less chum. Keep a 2nd 5 gallon bucket with no holes drilled in it to put the chum bucket in while moving between spots, otherwise the yak ends up a bloody mess

Comment

i was thinking of using small chum bag inside a 1 gal ziplock frozen then putting it back in the ziplock to keep the mess down and i can keep them in the cooler until used. hopefully it wont attract every cownose in the area to it

Comment

you can pick up a bunch of rays that way, keep a bouy handy to drop the anchor line quickly and get towed around! Hand is okay again but soccer all weekend I think. Let me know when you are heading out

Comment

i use 50ft also.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I use 30 in the rivers and 50 when im in the big water
                  '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                  '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                  Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

i use 80-100' for hard current or deeper water. i use a 30' rope for shallow and light current waters.

Comment

Working...
                    X