Occoquan River Crappies - Jan 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan River Crappies - Jan 26

Only because I couldn’t fish last Saturday due to the freezing rain, on Thursday I hit Occoquan River for Crappies after work.

The low tide was 3:50PM. There would be plenty of clearance (3-4’) under the most of docks I thought. I arrived at Occoquan Regional Park at 2:15pm.

It was warm day. Air temp was 48-50F and there was no wind. The water temp was whopping 50F at the shore, and 45F in the middle of the river.

I cast under the docks with two different lures, a 1.5-2” red/white tube and a 3” brown curly tail, both on 1/16oz jig heads. I caught 5-6 crappies on the brown curly tail but none on the red/white tube

The fishing log below:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice JOE!!! What did they measure in at, acouple looked big? where was the launch?

Comment

Some nice size crappie, I would had invited them to dinner. Are the crappie that you catch normally that pale? Thanks for sharing!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good work on quenching the pullage need. I'm really waiting for you to find out when the togs are back in March.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          Some nice size crappie, I would had invited them to dinner. Are the crappie that you catch normally that pale? Thanks for sharing!
          usually they are very dark. there are may be two different kinds

joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Good work on quenching the pullage need. I'm really waiting for you to find out when the togs are back in March.
            I prpbably hit Delaware or Kipto in the end of march, or February for the heck of it. Though, Once we locate Crappie hole in Lake Anna, you may fish for Crappie. I will eat Lake Anna Crappie if I catch them. I think, and Michael also think that Crappie are better than WP for dinner. I think Crappie and YP are better than WP. And I love the taste of WP in Severn River.

joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
              Nice JOE!!! What did they measure in at, acouple looked big? where was the launch?
              Google MAP "Occoquan Rigional Park, VA"

There is a box for $4.00 launch fee south of the boat ramp.

Joe

Comment

Thanks for the recon report Joe

I was going to ask if you have been to occoquan yet this year and if the crappie were hungry. Your video answered all my questions. Now i just need to talk my boss into letting me take half a day during the week so i can get into some.

Have you eaten any crappie from there? I have had some from the reservoir above the dam and they were fine.

Comment

http://challengeseries.kayakbassfish...challengeid=28

You need to enter this challenge it's offered free by KBF!! 1st prize $50 gift card to Hook 1!!

I think you biggest one looked like it would have currently had the top spot.

Comment

Well done, Joe. Some of those crappie were pretty hefty. My father is driving my mother crazy, so maybe I'll head out with him somewhere next weekend.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

If the weatherman gives me a decent forecast i plan to take the yack out for some crappie on the docks on saturday. Your video has inspired me to give it a shot.. Last spring i had a blast nailing large crappie, YP and bluegills off those docks on light tackle. I have eaten crappie from those waters and they tasted fine and did not glow when cooked.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
                      X