5/16/10 Wicomico River, MD Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/16/10 Wicomico River, MD Report

Well this has been a rare double header weekend of yak fishing for me.

Decided to head over to the Wicomico River to try my luck. I read a report on another board and it sparked my interest (Thanks ComeOnFish for the post).

Got a late start and was on the water around 2:00 pm. Beautiful day out there.

I paddled out to channel marker 6W and started drifting a high low rig in 16 ft to 25 ft of water. Top hook was on a short 4 inch leader with a 2" gulp minnow. Bottom hook was on a 14" leader with a strip of squid. Got the first take in around 10 Min's. Nice sized croaker which was what i came for. Much better than yesterday.

I repeated the drift over the next several hours until the tide turned and wind picked up. The action was not hot but it was steady. I would get a fish every other drift.

A couple buddies i met along the way.

I tried the other side of the marker when the tide turned but only managed 1 more fish.

I learned today that croaker like gulp minnows. I caught most of the fish on the top hook with the minnow. Go figure

Still a great second trip of the season.

Looks like a nice mess of fish! Do you fillet them? I like eating them, but they are a pain to clean!

What color gulp were you using?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I did fillet this batch. It was a pain in the butt. The fillets are seeing the fire tonight.

I was using white gulp grubs.

Comment

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try this summer. It'd be much easier to keep than squid...

I use a glove when I'm doing them, helps a little...
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

nice fish!
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
          X