Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ caught fish the first time in winter in Lake Anna - Jan 14, 2011

Kayak-Fishing Lake Anna - Jan 14, 2011

I hit two different places in Lake Anna, the cold side at Dike 3 (public access) and the warm side at Dike 2 (private access).

I went Lake Anna Dike 3, cold side in the morning to catch some stripers for dinner. My plan was live-lining thread fin herring for stripers.

So I brought Sabiki rigs (size 6 and 8). I cast and jigged a Sabiki rig from the Dike. But I couldn’t catch 5-7 inch thread fin herring for 30 minutes. I snagged 2 tiny minnows.

There were only few people fishing today, and they told me that the fishing hasn’t been good recently due to the rapid change of the temperature.

I met a kayaker who carries everything, including Sabiki rigs and a cast net in his SUV. We introduced ourselves. His name was TJ, and he was there to catch some stripers for dinner just like me.

TJ caught several small minnows by casting a net. But none of minnows were big enough for stripers.

It looked that catching a striper was impossible today in the cold side of Dike 3.

I invited TJ to the warm side of Dike 2 (private access) where we can catch some WP for dinner, or at least we catch some LM.

At Dike 2, we fished for WP in the afternoon. I gave my favorite lures (for WP, LM and catfish) to TJ.

For three hours, I caught 1 WP and 4 LM. And TJ caught 5 WP and 1 LM. WP were at around 10 inches

Later, I got some good info about Crappie and Striper in the warm side.
    Crappie are usually suspended 12’ below the surface at the bridge. They are hitting on small minnows. There are keeper stripers, 20 inch +. But only a few anglers fish for stripers in the warm side. That is why there were no reports of striper fishing in the warm side.

Next time I will buy small minnows at a gas station near by. Also I will be learning how to cast a net just in case

Here is my video fishing log:

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great video

I love watching people's videos of their fishing trips. Keep it up! Awesome that you can fish 50 degree water right now! Looked like a fun day, even with no stripers. I'll have to try that lure out on the reservoirs near my home.

Comment

Anna Dike3 Fish-found

Yeah, the fish were there, but not biting. Here is a photo just beyond casting distance from shore. Must be weather related, all warm then cold and windy. Good thing there was the warm side..
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice video, Joe. You might be able to target the crappie using a slip bobber and small tube like at the Occoquan. You can put the bobber stop at 12ft or whatever depth they're holding.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Welcome to the site TJ!
          Feel free to call me anytime. I will fish if I don’t have to work on weekend.

All,
          ExtremereKayakFishingWithTJ is the TJ I met. He reminded of some of the kayakers on the site who do whatever and whenever to catch fish.

I am going back to dike 2 warm side to catch possible Crappie and Stripers next week. I will catch small minnows for Crappie (I can see small minnows at the launch site in 1-3 feet of water all the time and I have a cast net). But I have to learn how to throw a cast net quickly.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
          X