X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing Technology

Check out this new technology!!

http://www.liquipel.com/

Seems too good to be true, but I'd say it does seem plausible thinking in my Biochemistry mind... why didn't I come up with this!!

interesting concept....i wonder if you can apply this to fishing tackle like reels and pliers to make them rust and water proof?????
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

This seems almost impossible... but yet... i'm curious to try it. I wish I had a spare iPhone to sacrifice. Thing is, there are moving parts in phones (speakers, mics, buttons...) Apparently this 'molecular-level' bonding works despite that?

If this actually works, I gotta wonder, why aren't ALL of our gadgets waterproofed in the factory???
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
        This seems almost impossible... but yet... i'm curious to try it. I wish I had a spare iPhone to sacrifice. Thing is, there are moving parts in phones (speakers, mics, buttons...) Apparently this 'molecular-level' bonding works despite that?

If this actually works, I gotta wonder, why aren't ALL of our gadgets waterproofed in the factory???
        I think companies don't want to pay for it on all their products because thats how they make money by people damaging their devices without a warranty then they buy a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
          I think companies don't want to pay for it on all their products because thats how they make money by people damaging their devices without a warranty then they buy a new one.
          Haha, good point !
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback

Comment

I wonder if it's similar to this stuff:

http://neverwet.com/

I wonder if it would boost speed when applied to a kayak hull?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Looks neat, someone else try it first.

Comment

I'm intrigued but quite skeptical

I've got to wonder, how does one waterproof a headset jack and still maintain electrical connectivity? How does one cover electronic circuitry and not change the capacitance of a tuned circuit if the stuff gets inside? How do switches continue to move when painted with something that keeps water out? I'd love to hear from an independent tester that runs a full test. It sure seems to be too good to believe. (I don't think it's because manufacturers like selling replacements for water damaged goods, I think it is probably because it is too good to be true.) I sure hope someone tries it with an old phone or an old iPod.

Later,
                TTYaker

Comment

Originally posted by Tall_Timbers_Kayaker View Post
                  I've got to wonder, how does one waterproof a headset jack and still maintain electrical connectivity? How does one cover electronic circuitry and not change the capacitance of a tuned circuit if the stuff gets inside? How do switches continue to move when painted with something that keeps water out? I'd love to hear from an independent tester that runs a full test. It sure seems to be too good to believe. (I don't think it's because manufacturers like selling replacements for water damaged goods, I think it is probably because it is too good to be true.) I sure hope someone tries it with an old phone or an old iPod.

Later,
                  TTYaker
                  It's all about the 'Nano Armor'!!

Liquipel’s patent-pending waterproof coating is so small, you’d need a powerful microscope to detect the nano sized armor. Don’t let the details fool you. This tiny layer keeps electronics working despite being dropped into water.

Some guys (or kids) debating the efficacy of this stuff: http://gizmodo.com/liquipel/

I predict that this is mostly marketing hype and that the product will either not work, not work for long or not work in most real-world situations. If I am wrong, then this is really the best invention since the iPhone! Imagine the applications...
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

The little link at the bottom of their homepage, 'Preventative Steps', outlines the following:

Liquipelâ„¢ recommends that your electronic device not come in contact with any liquids.

If your electronic device does come in contact with a liquid, we recommend that you take the following steps:

1. Power down the device and then remove the battery, if possible. Leave the device without power for at least 5 hours. In an emergency, the device may be used before powering down and removing the battery.

2. Do not charge the device for 24 hours.

3. Wipe the surface of the device with a dry, absorbent cloth. Using Q-tips or a paper towel, dab open ports on the device to remove any visible liquids.

4. Stand the device upright to allow excess water to drain.

5. Do not shake or blow on the device to try to remove any liquid. It is best to allow the liquid to evaporate on its own.

6. Visit our website at www.Liquipel.com and share your story of how Liquipel saved your device.
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

I bought a completely waterproof case for my IPhone 4S- it uses rubber gaskets to seal the case and thin clear plastic and glass over the finger pad and camera lens- it was not cheap- $80.00, but the IPhone 4S is a pretty expensive smart phone. Most marine electrical switches are sealed with rubber, as well.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

the demo looks cool, I am just wary of the effects long term. Especially with this stuff getting on every component. I'll wait til Cnet or PC magazine does a stress test first! LOL I also like how in the iphone 4 demo the guy says that they don't recommend the iphone 4 come in contact with water!! LOL

Comment

I have one of those ruggedized phones. When I took a dunk this summer, following my capsizing, the phone was in my pocket. It survived, and it is still working. It is covered with rubber covering. All connections have O-ring seals.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
                            looks neat, someone else try it first. :d
                            lol +1

Comment

Very cool but looks expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X