Neoprene gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neoprene gloves

One of the recent threads about Christmas gifts had a discussion of different models of neoprene gloves. Most of the respondents expressed a preference for Ice Bay brand gloves.

My original pair of neoprene gloves were made by Shimano as fishing gloves. I wore them year round to provide a better grip on my paddle and reduce blistering when I was actually paddling long distances between launching and fishing spots. Even in winter, once I reached my fishing location, I removed the gloves and fished bare-handed.

Over years of usage, I re-sewed the seams several times, but they finally wore out just before Christmas. I went looking for another pair of Shimano gloves. To my disappointment, I learned that Shimano no longer makes them, and I could not find them in inventory on the internet either.

I visited several local stores without having any luck. The Ice Bay gloves I saw on websites looked nice, but I did not want to risk $50 for a mail order purchase without being able to try them on. The day after Christmas, I was in a Dick's sporting goods store in PA. They did not have neoprene gloves, but did have lightweight Carhartt gloves with fully rubberized palms and fingers. I bought a pair of these to wear most of the year for gripping. http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...category=10901

A few days ago, I visited Bass Pro Shops and found a pair of their own BPS brand neoprene gloves for only $12.95. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...t/73534/142605 I bought them and have used them on three trips since. They work pretty well and serve my cold weather purposes.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

i have a similar pair but has red velcro wrist strap. i like the ability to use finger and thumb but the velcro that holds them back should be larger.

Comment

Just an FYI, BassPro has both Ice Bay and the store brand neoprene's. You need to go into the Whiteriver Fly Shop to find most of the good gloves. There are some in the fishing dept and the Camo Dept. Most are in Fishing and the Fly Shop. I have a pair of the Split Finger Neoprene's and the Ice Bay full hand Neoprene's. I prefer not to have the split fingers in my gloves unless Im fly fishing. No Need to have the fingers exposed othewhise. I can bait my hooks with either gloves. It does get a bit difficult to tie knots without having your fingers exposed which is why I use Snap Swivels for the most part.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Ive had a pair of the BPS gloves for about 3 years now and love them for cold weather fishing. I usually have the fore finger folded back on the velcro which allows me to feel the bite better when jigging.
        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I've had some $30 gloves which I'm not real happy with. I too am leary about buying expensive gloves without really knowing how they'll do. So, I'll try those BPS ones. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, JA
          - Does your Manta float when tipped over?
          - Is the seat real comfortable? I have a Prowler Trident, which is a great yak, but the seat is NOT comfortable during 4-10 hour trips.
          - I'm thinking it may be a good yak for an electric motor too.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            I've had some $30 gloves which I'm not real happy with. I too am leary about buying expensive gloves without really knowing how they'll do. So, I'll try those BPS ones. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, JA
            - Does your Manta float when tipped over?
            - Is the seat real comfortable? I have a Prowler Trident, which is a great yak, but the seat is NOT comfortable during 4-10 hour trips.
            - I'm thinking it may be a good yak for an electric motor too.
            I have never flipped the Manta -- either by accident or on purpose. And I sit very tall with a high center of gravity relative to most other kayakers. But the interior air space is pretty tight (snug fitting rubber covers over two circular access ports plus the large oval hatch in the bow area) so it should float.

The seat is very comfortable. After using a Manta Ray 14 with kayak fishing guide Cory Routh in July 2008, I bought the same model of boat the following winter. My first kayak was an Ocean Kayak Drifter. It was a great boat to learn on, but I reached butt fatigue in 1.5 - 2 hours. I can stay in the Manta Ray for 4 hours without getting butt fatigue. Usually by then, I am ready to get out anyway. My longest trip in the Manta Ray was 7 hours, with a 15 minute break for lunch to stretch my legs.

I cannot say much about using an electric motor on the Manta Ray. It does not appear to be designed with that in mind, so you would most likely need an after-market add-on. Native offered an integrated electric motor accessory on several of its models a few years ago. I don't know if they still do it.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X