CBBT Sat, 12-31-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Sat, 12-31-11

Mostly cloudy in the morning, but sunny in the afternoon. Winds were 15+ mph during late morning, but died down to about 10 mph in the pm. Chops were 2-3 ft during late morning, but it settled down about noon. Air temp in high 50s. Water temp at 49 deg. A lot of boats were out. I saw only one other yaker.

Hit the water at 0845 hrs. Had a dozen live blue crabs. Target was togs. After two hours working the pilings, I got no tog bites. The chops and wind got worse too. After an hour of rough water/wind I decided to head in, but it soon died down so I headed back toward the 1st island.

I must have worked a hundred pilings for over four hours. Nothing, not even a nibble. Where did the togs go? To deeper water?

Anyway, I switched to a 1 1/2 ounce jig with chartruse bkd after 1300 hrs. Caught six stripers (18 1/2, 20, 21, 22, 22 and 26"). Took home two.

No togs , but still a good day of fishing .
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Glad you were able to change tactics and get on some nice fish. Seems like the Tog are done until spring...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good looking rockfish. Nice going.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm still not sure if the togs have gone deep. Were they around and just weren't hungry (or were in low activity mode) when I was there? Or did I just not find them? I heard togs can be caught during winter, but I'm having my doubts about this. How many times do I need to try before I know they are really gone?

Yeah, all the caught stripers were heathly looking. No lesions. All had some amount of sea lice too, which is a good sign.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,
          Thanks for the posting. I wanted fish for tog, but I couldn't fish at all in the last week of December. You saved me mony and time. In return, I will try to be the first one hit CBBT for tog (March) this year.

Joe
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik;
            Where did the togs go? To deeper water?.
            They went to the ships where everybody's fishing for striper.

Glad it turned out to be a good day for you. Really nice fish... Especially the 26"... Wow.

One day I'll work up the courage to fish the CBBT. It's a bit intimidating, but so were the BB and the ships at first.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

VA Tog Reg Changed

Virginia Tog Reg in 2012

Minimum Size Limit……………..…16 inches
              Possession Limit......................... 3 per person

Closed Season: April 16 through September 23

I guess I start from Mid March

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
              X