Kayak Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Storage

Due to the rain I had the day off, so I made a new kayak storage rack. I plan on adding locking caster wheels on the corners.

Material list:
    5 2x4x8 @ $2.59
    1 4x8x15/32 4 ply sheathing @ $15.89
    Subtotal $28.84
    Tax $1.74
    Total $30.58

I already had the 2.5" screws
    Attached Files
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

sweet! i made mine out of recycled PT 4x4s and 2x4s from my deck and straps from a kayak hanger kit that someone sent me but i dont have space in my garage to hang my revo

Comment

Thanks surfdog, I have a 2.5 car garage but still need more room. How big is the revo?
      Kayak Fishing Mafia

Comment

Nice Job!!! Very Proffesional looking. You could prob. sell it commercially. You're correct on the caster wheels though. That would finish it off nicely. I still like my Bike/Kakak rack though.
        Tom Brown
        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I made mine a couple of weeks ago from 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC specifically to fit the hull of my Hobie Outback so I could store it sitting upright without putting any stress on the hull-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

After doing a little research, I determined that storing them on their side, without any hard pressure points, was best. If not stored properly, kayaks can deform.
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

Comment

Do you think that hanging them by their handles would be ok? I have mine hanging from the bow and stern handles and a second strap going underneath the hull at both the hull and stern as well. I was a little concerned but it seemed to be a good steady hold and with the weight distributed evenly should be ok... Any comments??
              Tom Brown
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                Do you think that hanging them by their handles would be ok? I have mine hanging from the bow and stern handles and a second strap going underneath the hull at both the hull and stern as well. I was a little concerned but it seemed to be a good steady hold and with the weight distributed evenly should be ok... Any comments??
                I've heard from several different sources that you should not store your kayak by hanging it by the handles as the handles are meant for picking it up and carrying it for short periods of time only.

If you have most of the weight of the kayak resting on the straps underneath the hull and you are only tieing off to the handles as safety lines that is probably ok.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks Ryan, Well I guess thats how it will be now. I had a feeling that I shouldn't hang it from the handles. I'm gonna move some things around a bit so that it will be primarilly supported under the yak and not through the handles.
                  Thanks for the confirmation.
                  Tom
                  Tom Brown
                  2012 Hobie PA 14'
                  Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Most sources suggest that it’s best to support the middle 40-50% of kayak. I think I'm going to put some rubber padding (foam pipe insulation or pool noodles) to help cushion the kayaks from the wood too.
                    Kayak Fishing Mafia

Comment

I Figure that the way I have mine is pretty good. I have two, three foot "arms" that the Outback sits on and they have the neoprene foam pipe insulation as cushion. This is in my barn-out of the weather.

I have a kayak hanging kit that the Prowler is on..it is hanging directly over the Outback.

Comment

Ron,
                        I flew over your house last week when I was heading down to VA
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

You should have waved your wings at me- my place is easy to see from the air- I look for it when returning on SW flights landing at BWI-

Comment

My Outback hangs on its side under my deck. My Nucanoe sits in the corner on blocks.
                            Attached Files
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                            X