X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT - Big Tog! 12/22/11, Thurs

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooo!

Caught a big one yesterday.

Mostly cloudy. High about 60 deg. Fairly calm water, but the current picked up late morning. Chops were about a foot in the afternoon. Light breeze. I would say the water temp was just below 50 deg. I was on the water at 0900 hrs. A couple boats were out.

I worked the pilings as I headed for the 1st island. After trying several pilings with blue crab on a 3 oz sinker, I finally got a hit at 1000 hrs.

I set the hook and reeled. Whoaa. This guy felt kind of big. I tightened the drag and reeled, but it didn’t come up right away. I tightened the drag more and reeled. It started up and fought hard. There was a lot of bend in my boat rod. About halfway up, the fish pulled hard again and took out some line. I tightened the drag again and worked it up. When the fish neared the surface, I saw the familiar light gray color. It was a tog, and it looked pretty big. The tog took another dive and pulled out more line. I played it a bit and finally got it in the yak.

I placed it on the trough (I though it would break the plastic hawg trough).

Twenty-four and a half inches!

Whoaaa … I was absolutely thrilled and on cloud nine. I couldn’t believe I got such a big tog. And wow, wow, wow …. this thing was a very good fighter!

I was still excited about the catch and continued to fish, but didn’t catch anything (or even get a nibble) after that tog. It was probably because I had a hard time keeping the bait down. The current had picked up and it was hard keeping yak position while keeping the bait straight down. I tried up to seven ounces and still couldn’t even get close to keeping it nearly straight down. Also, it was hard to feel the tap tap with the heavy sinker bouncing on the bottom and the yak going every which way from eddies around the pilings. For several hours, it was all about keeping up with the current, not about fishing. For hours I was continuously pedaling just to keep from drifting away from the pilings. I was warm and sweating under the splash top. My sunglasses fogged up.

The afternoon fog was rolling in, and so I was off the water at 3 pm.

I later went to Oceans East to see if the big one was a citation. If you C&R the fish, qualification for a citation is based on length. If you keep it, the citation is based on weight. Since I kept it, it had to be at least nine pounds to qualify.

It weighted 10 lbs 12 oz, so I got a citation.

(The guy was joking with me by making the scale needle approach 20 lbs...lol)

Oh, I tried my new Okuma Blue Diamond 6’ 6” boat rod and Daiwa Luna 253. First time it caught fish, and it did great. The fast action rod had good sensitivity and backbone, but it was kind of heavy. So I’ll be getting a lighter rod (Trevala S).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM. Reason: Pics were delete; re-posting tog pics
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

WOW!!! Congrats man! That thing is a lunker for sure! I wanna go out to the first island, but I don't know if I can handle all that paddlin'...lol.

Comment

Wow! Awesome fish, Congrats!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

MTYM, you don't have to go all the way to the 1st island, which is 3 miles from shore. Even if you do go, your electric will help you do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          MTYM, you don't have to go all the way to the 1st island, which is 3 miles from shore. Even if you do go, your electric will help you do fine.
          True indeed... although I have never really fished with it while the water is moving close to structure... I'd be nervous I'd crash it into a piling! LOL

Comment

nice congrats on the citation!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice tog. Damnit i need to get back down there, If only i wasnt on the other side of the planet.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Congratulations!!!! That tog is a beast! Well done man, you definitely put some time in!

Hard to believe they can get any bigger, but the current world record is still 2x that weight! 25lbs+! (I think this one has been beat) - http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/rectaut.htm
                Last edited by Redfish12; 12-23-2011, 11:44 AM.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The largest Virginia citation caught this year so far was 16 lbs. Caught in March at Triangle Wrecks. Probably from a boat.
                  http://hamptonroads.com/newsdata/fis...species/tautog

Good to build that pented up fishing energy, Pinch. When you return, you can again pave the way.
                  Last edited by tufnik; 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Nice!!

I need to get my Evolve soon.

Comment

Sounds like Tog regs change on Jan 1 to 3 fish @ 16" or more. Hopefully that will mean we see more like the one you caught in the years to come!
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Niiiiiiceee!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          Sounds like Tog regs change on Jan 1 to 3 fish @ 16" or more. Hopefully that will mean we see more like the one you caught in the years to come!
                          should be 2@16'' and NO females
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Very nice Tufnik. I can't wait to get down there and catch some tog.
                            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

NICE TOG!!!! I've never seen one over 3.5 lb and 16". I gotta make that trip next year. if I go anywhere in 2012, It will be CBBT and Kipto. You could say it is like my mecca, The holy land for kayak Fisherman... LOL
                              Tom Brown
                              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                              2012 Hobie PA 14'
                              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
                              X