Fishing lures and rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing lures and rigs

What are some lures and rigs that I need to start purchasing for fishing the bay?

right now, we are using tandem rigs. chartreuse and white work well.

Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Are you using any trailers on those? Where is the best place to purchase those? Thanks for info.

Comment

Don't they get tangled when using them tandem on one line???

Comment

we just use the rubber shads as trailers. Bass Pro sells them but the best place to pick them up is probably Anglers on rt50. They have a bigger selection.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks for the info. Is there any other lures that I should try to pick up? Do you all use live bait???

Comment

Originally posted by kayakmedic View Post
              Don't they get tangled when using them tandem on one line???
              they are staggered, probably 2-3ft apart.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by kayakmedic View Post
                Thanks for the info. Is there any other lures that I should try to pick up? Do you all use live bait???
                in july/august we live line with spot. sometimes it takes us longer to catch spot than rockfish...lol lots of people use live eels too in june but i havnt tried it yet.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

spring time youre better off trolling parachutes, tandem rigs, or bucktails for the fact that these are traveling fish, and you'll cover more water this way. traveling or migrating fish dont hold structure or even school up really. they are just here to do the deed and get out. in the next few weeks i'll be switching to trolling storm shads and then eventually to livelining spot. in the fall jig heads with gulp work great. you can always just jig spoons, shads, gulp, stretch 25's and other lures too all year round. of course cut bait works too.

at the end of the day, everything works, some just better that others depending on season, tide, weather, location and a combination of it all. just got to get out there and try it all and see what works for you. even between grilled sardine and i, we may essentially be doing the same thing, but we have slight differences and styles
                  sigpic

Comment

What kind of line do you guys use, mono or braided? What pound test and diameter?

Comment

It may be a bit of a ride for you but Marty's in Edgewater is a good shop (I drive from Harford Co to there) Jim the owner is a good guy and has restocked the store and puts out what is catchin. Prices are decent too. Alltackle seems to have the hot lure this year with mylar and I heard they will ship orders not really set up for trolling yet from my yak but, will be soon I hope

Comment

Thanks for the info. I spoke to my friend and he was saying Sluggos are a good lure to use. Anyone ever tried those?

Comment

i tried out suffix 30lb braid this weekend and didnt have any problem, but i was just trolling with it so it really didnt matter. but, i do see myself going back to 20lb fireline, i think i just like it better. mono is great and will always have a place in all types of fishing. you just have to bite the bullet and give all types a try and see what you like best. for me right now, that would be fireline, it's like the middle of mono and braid.

i havent used sluggos yet but have heard only good things about them. i have a pack and will be trying them out soon.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was thinking (scary) why not just troll surgical hoses once you get them bent right look like eels on topwater (done it from a boat) the yak speed would be almost perfect. Storm companies is making some nice looking ones
                            http://www.stormlures.com/products/l...ype=soft_lures
                            or the plain

http://www.striper.net/images/lures/snake.jpg

trick is to twist them the right way to look like a swiming eel.
                            I have a new baitfeeder Okuma reel that would make a decent trolling like rod get the hit let him eat it like live line turn snap the drag on reel'em in. Now if I can just find someone to teach my how to rig and ride my yak I am all set with ideas I know enough to be dangerous

Comment

my next time out i'm gonna try surgical hoses. ive seen them at the stores and read about them in books so why not give ti a shot
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X