Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop Toggy Togg: 12/10-12/11

Day1
    After leaving the Baltimore area at 4 am, I arrived at Kiptopeke State Park around 8 am only to find very windy conditions. From what I've heard, normally, Kipto is ok in the wind because you are able to hide behind the ships. On this day, that was not the case because the wind was blowing right down them.

The waves looked a little daunting so I took my time getting ready and finally hit the water at 8:30. I headed out toward the southern most ship and found the waves to be tolerable. From seeing others videos of Tog fishing at the ships, I remembered that it seemed like many were cathing them around the holes in the ships. So, I decided to drop my blue crab quarter next to one of the holes in the ship and almost immediately started getting bites. Well after missing the fish atleast 10 times and actually feeling the weght of the fish a couple of times, but losing it, the fishin decided to stop biting. I moved to another hole in the ship and immediately got a bite again, but this time I hooked up and managed to get the fish all the way to my yak. My first fish on the new yak and first ever Tog at 15"!

I was ecstatic and being that it was only about 1/2 hour into my time on the water, I thought I had finally figured out hooking the Tog and would continue to get lots of bites. However, I went back to the same hole where I caught the Tog and could not buy another bite. A little while later, I was still trying at the same spot and CBkayak and Tufnik arrived and I told them I had one Tog and missed another.

Eventually I decided to venture to the other side of the ships. On the outside of the ships the waves were much larger, however they were smoother, so it didnt seem as bad. I tryed various spots along the outside of the southern ships and didnt get a nibble. The waves on the outside of the ships were approaching 10 feet, so I decided to head back to the other side of the ships. I selected another hole and decided to try fishing inside the hole by sticking my rod inside the ship. Almost immediately I started getting bites. I probably missed this fish 6-7 times because it was very difficult to set the hook, but eventually I finally got him to stick. I pulled im out the hole in the ship and took a deep breath as I layed him in the kayak. My second Tog of the day!

I fished the North ships a little while, but did not get any other bites and called it quits around 12. Here's a shot of some Pelicans sitting on the North set of ships.

In the afternoon, Rick (Memorymaker) provided us with shrimp salad sandwiches for lunch and gave us a little tour of the area. There are definately some other fishy looking spots around.

Day 2
    I was originally not planning to fish on this day, but with winds forecasted to be not as strong and after being stricken with Tog fever, I decided that I would have to give it a go for a little while. I arrived at Kipto around 7 am and was on the water at about 7:15. I decided to head directly for a couple of the holes in the south set of ships that I had not fished yesterday. I made a couple of drops on the outside of the ships with no luck and decided to fish the inside of the ships by sticking my rod inside the ship. Immediately I started getting bites. Finally, after about 7-8 misses I hooked up and pulled up a short 12" Tog. I let him go and circled back to see if he had any bigger friends in there. Right away I was getting bites again and finally was able to connect with a 15" Tog. So, again I went back wondering if there were anymore left and got bites right away and soon had another 15" Tog. After this Tog I continued getting bit, but could not manage to connect. I decided that I had to leave and made my way in with two keeper Togs for my short morning on the water. Sweet! I have more pictures, but my wife took them with her camera when I got home and I am currently in Chicago on business. Hopefully she will send me them soon, so I can share those too.

In summary, Tog fishing is freaking awesome and they are some hard fighters for sure. I can't wait for next year to fish for them more!

PS sorry for the long post....

PSS Thanks again to Memorymaker for the hospitality
    Last edited by Shady; 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

nice report...togin is def addicting! much better fighters than stripers.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

There is nothing like to have your new yak smell fishy...
      Congrats!!!
      2012 Red Outback
      2015 Blue Outback

Comment

Great report Ryan! I don't thing I would have the gumption to fish inside the holes... LOL Man I had to retype that sentence like 3 times no matter how I put it it came out to putting my rod in a hole...LOL! Tog are fun to catch! Great report!

Comment

The bites seemed to turn off every time I got to a spot. Those waves were tough too. Wasn't my day, I got nada.

What a beautiful sight in your yak. Congrats again, Ryan. Looks like you'll have to leave Chicago before tasting the sweet fruit of your labor.

MTYM, looks like we got three yakers losing their togginity this past weekend.

Oh, another thing. Why do they start to loose their anus?
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Here's a few more pics:

Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

LOL! I was thinking the same thing about sticking my rod in the hole, but couldnt really think of another way to describe it...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sticking rods in holes and losing anuses... great report!

Those togs are really funny looking. Eaten them yet? How'd they taste?
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I plan to have one this saturday. They are supposed to be very good. I'll report back on the culinary experience.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ryan and MytMouse,

Ryan caught them/had bites during the high tide. And it seemed that MytMouse caught them during the low tide. I always thought the low tide is better. But I guess slack current is the key.

What is the distance between top of the sinker and the dropper loop knot? At Kipto I used 4-6" last two times.

What is the size of the dropper loop? I used 1-2"

I am just trying to complie the data.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Very nice Ryan. Out on a new yak and two nice days of fishing. Sounds like all of you guys had a good time.
                      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Ryan and MytMouse,

Ryan caught them/had bites during the high tide. And it seemed that MytMouse caught them during the low tide. I always thought the low tide is better. But I guess slack current is the key.

What is the distance between top of the sinker and the dropper loop knot? At Kipto I used 4-6" last two times.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        Joe,

My rig was just about the same as yours. I tried getting my dropper loop knot closer to the 8" Rob Choi outlined, but after I tied the sinker it was about 5".

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Ryan and MytMouse,

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          My setup was pretty much the same as yours. I tied 8-10 rigs before coming but did not lose a single one.

I was using eagle claw 4/0 circle hooks. Im wondering if I would have had better luck hooking up with the Gamakatsu hooks.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah no loss of rigs for me either... I think your pretty much in the clear @ Kipto. But from what I hear 1st island and the CBBT is a different story. So @ least I am good with rigs for next trip. I used Owner 4/0 SSW needle point from Amazon. A pack 27 for $14.73 shipped! I think I would have caught a lot more if I rigged it the way I did later in the day... versus getting my bait stolen...

Comment

Nice work Ryan. You broke in the new boat in fine style.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X