Goal Zero Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goal Zero Products

I was costco today in White Marsh and a product caught my eye. They had a rep there from a company called Goal Zero. They sell portable ruggedized solar power. The panels are water proof and can apparently take some abuse. They seem to be marketed towards camping and seem to be able to charge anything with a USB interface...as well as phones, cameras, etc.

It seems like such a cool item for a kayak, but I'm not sure what I would power with it other than my fish finder, camera or phone which go out fully charged with me anyway.

A radio may be cool....Does anyone have any ideas how they'd use one of these? I could justify a purchase if I had a reason

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

They do look pretty interesting.

I think they really are marketed towards the basecamp style camping and outdoor activities. Looks like you just leave them in the direct sunlight while you go about your day time activities. Not sure about a kayaking application, other then if you were spending multiple days out with a basecamp on land, or if you were doing a Kayak Kevin style tour.

They have some videos here:

http://vimeo.com/17410078

Comment

I have to have one of these. As often as I lose power at my house, This would be ideal for the neccesities. I know I'm not gonna run the fridge or the Air conditioner with it, But it could do a lot.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I'd use it for recharging a cell phone or gps device on any trip lasting longer than a day. You can charge an iPhone in 2-4 hours. The fish finder may need too much juice for the solar charger to be of any use though.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          I was costco today in White Marsh and a product caught my eye. They had a rep there from a company called Goal Zero. They sell portable ruggedized solar power. The panels are water proof and can apparently take some abuse. They seem to be marketed towards camping and seem to be able to charge anything with a USB interface...as well as phones, cameras, etc.

It seems like such a cool item for a kayak, but I'm not sure what I would power with it other than my fish finder, camera or phone which go out fully charged with me anyway.

A radio may be cool....Does anyone have any ideas how they'd use one of these? I could justify a purchase if I had a reason
          I looked into putting up solar power panels a few years ago- the cost vs, benefits just didn't add up, even with the federal tax incentives- one thing I discovered that isn't being told or explained very well is the solar panel charging capabilities degrade with time and have a fairly short useful service life
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X