Kipto 12/9: Lost my Togginity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto 12/9: Lost my Togginity

I got the pass this weekend to fish, so when I heard the M&G was gonna be @ Kipto I couldn't pass that up and with the wind to be virtually non-existent Friday I was gonna do both days! But it didn't exactly go as planned...

First let me apologize for my lack of video, I broke my contour this week. So you will have to use your imagination...LOL. I wanted what a lot of people want from Kipto on their kayak, my Kow! LOL But after watching and reading reports on the tog bite I wanted to try that too... I checked earlier in the week with Chris' bait and tackle to see if they had fiddlers or Blue Crab, and I am glad I did. Crabbing season is closed in VA so no crab! So I brought my own supply from the H Mary by my job, they all made trip on ice. So I made my quarters and had a bag for chumming.

The Tog
    I have never fished for tog before. But I did my research, I read the reports, I got the right gear so I'ma tear em up right? Well not exactly...LOL I fished every ship there and got no bites, I went inside, alongside, EVERYTHING... not a thing until I hit the back of one of the South Side ship's holes. Then I fell victim to my bait being stolen... I didn't hook up so I ventured on, I was really getting down on myself... the thought of skunkage loomed That was until someone who had seen Comeonfish's vid and told me that where I was fishing was where he filmed his video report... so I went back. Put out a fresh piece of crab and waited... BTW it is a royal PITA staying on the ships, I just knew I was gonna tear a hole in my bow. Then I felt it... tap tap... Set the hook...MISS! Then I waited... tap tap... Set the hook...MISS! Ugggh! Checked the crab, luckily it was still there, put it back down... tap tap... Set the hook... SAMwich!!! LOL My first ever Tog hookup! I pulled it up, nice 15"er. I tried a few more pieces of bait, only to have it stolen. So I changed my tactics a tad. Instead of going through 2 knuckles, I went through just one and pushed the hook through the meat... I immediately got the next one, but he was an inch shy... So then, right when I was getting my tog Swag, I was outta bait. It was great though, it was a wonderful fight and catching it is like no other fish I have gone after! Definitely a great time.

My Kow
    It's still swimming...lol. My only consolation is that NO ONE I spoke too pulled up a Striper or even saw one get pulled up! But I was the only one that got a keeper tog.

It was a great day all in all... I met a couple of guys from NC that were really cool. There was a group from NY that was down for the weekend... you would have thought these guys were on Hobie staff!! Kayak Kevin was also there, I think he went over to the CBBT though because I never saw him around the ships... someone said he was targeting Tog. I will be back Kipto, for my Tog Limit and for my KOW!

MYT

Congratulations on the first tog. I always enjoy adding a new species to my life list.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

SAMwich!!!
      GB

Comment

WTG Myt!!! I will definately be down there in April to go after my first Tog

Comment

Welcome to the brotherhood. 5 Hail mary's and be on your way son.

Comment

Nice work on the tog and congrats.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice going!

I wonder where the stripers are...
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice work MYT, and a great report!
                '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Thanks guys! I can't wait to try for them again! Oh and I meant to also put a mini gear review in my report... I just picked up a Tsunami Airwave jigging rod MH 6'3" and paired it with an Avet SX... What a bad@$$$ combo! The airwave lived up to they're other products... super light, but still strong. It has a similar feel to the trevala Butterfly rod. I picked one up @ Basspro and the S might just be coming home....lol. At any rate the rod let em feel every tap from the tog, every bounce of the sinker... I loved it. Only thing I have issue with is the butt... its a tad long, but I got used to it! The SX was equally impressive... its my first lever drag and non-levelwind. I was afraid that I wouldn't remember to move the line with my thumb when I retrieved, but it was cool. The drag is really smooth... Only thing about the reel is the clicker... they need to rename it, the thing is so quiet...smh. But overall a great reel. I spooled it with #50 tuf line XP. I have been hearing good reports about it being just as good as Power Pro but %25 cheaper, so I decided to try it out... I'll make my final judgement later next season... Here goes my baby... And yeah I know my spooling job needs a little work...lol

Last edited by mytmouse; 12-11-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Nice work!!! and good set up!!!
                    I'll see you out there in April.
                    Won
                    2012 Red Outback
                    2015 Blue Outback

Comment

Congrats, MTYM! Ain't that right?!? Nothin' like a tog fight.

Someone else lost their togginity too (yesterday at Kipto). I'll let him reveal himself.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i have that exact same combo. i bought a trevala this year so it didnt get that much use, but its pretty sweet. congrats on the tog!
                        Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Is that the TSAWBC-661H, MTM?
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks guys!

Grilled Sardine- Your the one that made me look at the Trevalas... ugggh! Redfish12 told me about it, but I purposely ignored it so I wouldn't want one... then after seeing your vid and picking one up @ BPS I am SERIOUSLY debating it, I think I will go with just the Medium if I do get one...

Tufnik- The one I got is the TSAWBC-661MHJ

Comment

Mytmouse,

Congratulations!
                              Thanks for the report. I have been waiting for the report. I felt I was there fishing when I read your report.
                              It seemed that the holes on the two ships from the south on the bay side holding tog and tog are larger there.

Btw, what was the water temp? 49-50F?

Regarding Next year April tog fishing,
                              I probably fish for tog at CBBT or Kipto as soon as the water temp hits 49-50F. It can be March. The first trip will be a reconnaissance mission because we may not see the first tog report yet. Once someone report catching tog, hopefully me, and the water temp is 52F plus, the tog will be there in good number.
                              The only bad thing about March/April was the weather, very windy. So basically we need to be ready every weekend waiting for the fishable wind.
                              Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X