Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trotline

Any crabbers out there?

So I just bought some nylon rope and want to make a trotline. I want to try and hit up some of the rivers this summer for crabs. I found this pic online but my question is, how do you tie the bait on the trotline. Do you have line tied to the main line or do you tie the bait directly to main line?
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Most people tie the bait directly to the main line with slip knots. I have known some to use about 6 inches of line tied to the main line but I don't think it matters. They also make clips.

Comment

I've been considering the same thing. I figured that I could make an arm that fits into the scupper holes of the hobie that the main line runs through, lifting it out of the water. Perhaps it's and extension off of the cart. As far as baiting the line, you don't need dropper lines. Just bait the main line. I think most recreational crabbers use slip knots, but that really seems like a lot of work. I've also heard of guys undoing the braid of the line locally and inserting a chicken neck directly into it. It seems like the bait may fall out but my buddy swears it doesn't. If you ask me though, I am simply going to get a bunch of the nylon twist ties and quickly bait the line that way. MDSMITH is right about clips, but that will start to get a little pricey. Last summer I used my paddle kayak with ring traps. I caught a lot of crabs, but it was a fair amount of work since I only had a few traps and had to constantly cycle back and forth between them. I never had enough free hands to paddle to the trap, lift the trap, net the crab and paddle to the next one. This year the hobie will allow an easy run of the trot line with a wire net in one hand ready to net the crab. You'll get a lot of looks out there because everyone in their boats views the guys on kayaks as such a novelty. We can do just as well as they can but our cost to get on the water is much much lower.

A couple of tips I've come across about trot lines. Store it in a 5 gallon bucket and don't try to neatly wind it up because it will be destined for knots. A guy recommends that you just drop it in there any which way and it will come out just fine. Also, there's no need to get anchors for the ends, just use half cinder blocks, old engine parts or I may just buy some 10 lb weights cheaply at walmart. I've also heard of guys making a pickling solution to store their bait until the next time they go out, but I think I'd just spend another 5 bucks on new chicken necks and not worry about the mess. When you bring the crabs home, I find putting them in an ice bath puts them into some kind of hibernation. This allows you to put them in the steamer without all their claws falling off...which is an odd defense mechanisme.

I go out in Dundee Creek starting in mid to late June, waiting to hear word on some of the forums. If you want to head out sometime I'll be game.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Great information, Yak. It is a lot of work initially to tie the slip knots but you only have to do it once. I've found clips without swivels for $8.99 for a pack of 25. Magic Bait also makes a 150 foot trotline with 25 swivel clips for about $20.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Let me know when the crabs start showing up and ill be game for some grabbing action. I went dicks the other day and bought two small anchors. They didnt have a price on them so the guy sold them for $5 each. I think all I need now is some floats/buoy. I think i might use those foam pool noodles.

haha...i love the looks I get from boaters. When i'm trolling they are like "WTF are you doing." Its like they never seen a kayak. But wait untill i bust out the planers on the yak....lol
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
          X