CBBT - Togs! Sun 12-4-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT - Togs! Sun 12-4-11

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Got my limit!

Nice day. Mostly sunny. Temps up to 60 deg. Light breeze. Water was fairly calm, less than a foot chops. A lot of boats were out.

Had a dozen live blue crabs. Plan was to work the pilings for togs. Hit the water at 0930 hrs. Worked the pilings as I headed for the 1st island.

Caught a 14 1/2 incher on the third piling I tried. Then I caught a toad. Soon after I caught a 15 incher. After that, I caught six straight toads in a row. You would think I took all the togs from that spot, right? You would think the next tug would be a toad, right? Time to go to another piling, right? Nope.

I rebaited and went back to the same spot. And bang! Caught an 18" tog, and it was a fighter. Wow, that was fun.

Went back, and caught another toad. Then bang! Hooked up on another 18 incher.

It was noon, and I had already caught my limit of four. I continued to fish anyway and caught more togs and toads. I had a striper on the bait as I was reeling the leader up once. Thought it was a toad. The hook wasn't set so the striper (estimated 20"+) came off when it surfaced. I also did some trolling on my way back in, but got no hits.

Catch tally:
    Six togs: Keepers (14 1/2, 15, 18, 18), C&R (14 and 14 1/2)
    Nine toads: All C&R

It was my best tog outing and a lot of fun
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice Work!! hopefully they'll still be around this coming weekend.

Has anyone ever tried the gulp crabs for tog?

Comment

Nice job!
      And thanks for the good info. I am compiling tog fishing data. I may try CBBT in two weeks for the heck of it. I feel tog will bite in 45F water.

joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Never tried it, Matt. You may want to try it, but bring live blue crab too just in case you get no bites off the Gulp.

Tried your masking tape solution, Joe. Seemed like a good idea, but the tape started to come off due to the overnight and morning cold temps.

I think they'll bite, but will they be around? Maybe some stragglers will be around. Since they tend to go deeper, CBBT may be better than Kipto. CBBT depth goes to at least over 30 feet.

Comment

Tufnik
          Let me know when you hit CBBT again. I will join you. Hopefully catch both tog and big striper.
          You wrote "masking tape". But I think you meant "duct tape".

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Yes, duct tape.

There's a December M&G at Kipto this weekend. They are going for big stripers (Many will use live eels for soaking). Memory Maker has a trailer for overnight stay. Anyway, I plan to go for big stripers too, but togs are tempting.

Had tog for dinner tonight. Delicious!

Comment

Congrats on the catch Tufnik! Those 18's really pull!

CBBT gets deeper than 30 for sure, might not be a bad idea to check it out. I know Ron has said he used to catch them all winter down there.

Good luck at the M&G guys, I wish I could make it!!!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

WTG Tufnik! Man I surely do envy you! You would think you lived down the street as much as you hit the Southern VA waters! I'll be down there this weekend. I think I am gonna go down Friday morning and stay with a friend and hit it again Saturday! Stripers are 1st on the list, but I will bring a setup for tog too!

Comment

Nice work, tuf. Looks like you've got them dialed in now.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice work Tufnik! Im planning to target tog for the meet and greet, but I think I will also be ready with some eels to target Striper too. I just want to catch a Tog more than a Striper. Matt, I have some of those gulp crabs and will bring them to try too.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Glad that you installed the side protection. I think the side and bow protection is important (for look and resale value).

I enforced the duct tape (redneck) protector and it worked well I will post the video later tonight.

Also I am waiting for your solution.

"tap tap"

Comment

Mike, I do remember Ron saying togs can be caught during the winter. Those people were probably bundled up warm on a boat. Might be worth a try on a yak.

Wx forecast is not looking too good this weekend. Winds at 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Kipto may be OK though. If you guys still go down, I hope you all good luck! Tog pullage is just plain fun.

MTM, just wake up 3 am. It takes me four hours (with breaks) to get there, but I have tog fever that gets me motivated.

Joe, just before launch I redid the tape. It worked OK at the pilings when the temps were up. So, I would definitely try it again until I find a better solution. No better solution found so far.

Comment

BTW, my wife made something different tonight. Tog tempura. Was it good or was it good?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tufnik,

Good to see you out there for a bit. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                            X