2012 Hobie Outback Fully Loaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Hobie Outback Fully Loaded

I finally got my new outback yesterday and I spent a good portion of today rigging it up. I did some of the rigging the same as my old yak, but also changed some things up a little bit.
    Stay tuned....
    More to come...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Glad to hear it finally came in.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Shady, What's different on the 2012? I've been thinking about selling my 2010 Outback and buying a new yak.
      2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

There isnt much that is different, the main differences are:
        The seat pegs are changed so that you only turn them 90 degrees to lock them in.
        The rudder control lever is a little bit bigger and rubberized and also has a hole if you want to add the steering knob.
        The rudder pin is a little stiffer and Im not sure if the 2010 had this or not but in each hatch lid there is a recess to hold an extra rudder pin.
        There is a Hobie logo in front of the front hatch.
        They may have also slightly changed the hull design but I am not sure...

Hopefully posting a vid tonight...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Side protection installed tonight...
          sorry, didnt get a chance too make a vid, hopefully tomorrow.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad you got the yak in time for the M&G, Ryan. What was the story on your old hull?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

My 2010 Outback had a crack form in the mirage well and I got a new one under warranty. I only had to pay for shipping!

Here's a video of my new yak all rigged and ready to go. This is my first attempt at video... Sorry the lighting sucks, but you get the idea...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4QtVHmEfmE

How do you embed video by the way?
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nothing like a well rigged Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The crack in the Mirage well is an old issue that seems to be more hit or miss- makes you worry about it though- seems like the older Hobies had more issues than the 2008 and later models did, but every once in a while you still hear about them- you would think there would be a factory kit to fix the crack without having to replace the entire hull.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice rigging, shady.

There used to be a fiberglass form to place at the front of the Mirage well inside the hull to better support that area. Hobie since changed the design of that area so that the reinforcement wouldn't be needed. My old Outback still cracked even with the reinforcement. That area is always going to be a problem because it's near the center of the yak. It's difficult to keep the plastic there during the rotomolding process. I wonder if Outbacks crack more than Revos? The seat is slightly higher in the Outback, so I wonder if that results in more pressure being exerted on that area while pedaling.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

It appears that the only approved repair is a hot weld technique using the plastic rods supplied by the manufacturer for this process and it only works for linear roto-moulded plastic hulls- Stress cracks at a stress point is common among all manufacturers as each has a website "how to" process.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'll take a brand new hull over a repair. Anyways, as I was putting my kayak away last night I lifted it using the center handles and the hard plastic one broke off on the one side! Seriously! WTF!
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X