Kipto and Rudee 12/3/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto and Rudee 12/3/11

Fished Kipto yesterday with ComeOnFish, GrilledSardine, Yakfisher, and a new guy (can't remember his handle).

Tog fishing was excellent for everyone. I kept 4 - 15, 15, 16, 18.5 and caught about 8 in the 8-14 inch range. I brought an LTJ stick in case rock were around the ships and to test out these jigheads I got when I was fishing in CT over the summer.

Actually I had a lot of stuff to test yesterday. I installed the Hobie surf rod holder and I have to say it was a very useful addition for keeping a spare rod with me without the worry of snapping it on an overhanging obstacle. I have been missing the rod pod from my trident on the Revo and when I saw it on Pinch's kayak I knew that I needed it! I'm pretty sure it can be installed on any kayak though. It has a slot for your rod tip and a strap in the back for the grip and works much better than my paddle bungee did. I mounted it high on the side so I wouldn't have to worry about banging into pilings and it worked well.

I also needed to test my anchor trolley and structure anchor. Trolley was simple enough, no idea why I waited so long to install it. I think ComeOnFish had the same idea for an anchor because he brought one too. The only difference was I used a cheap clamp from home depot for the business end. It worked great and there was a ton of stuff to clip onto. Disclaimer... I know you're not supposed to moor to the ships... but the clamp was easy to remove and did not leave any remnants. I was confident that if I pulled quickly it would pop off. I also had it clipped into my anchor trolley for qucik disconnect and a knife ready in case. If you guys think about doing it, realize it could be potentially dangerous due your yak swinging around and running you into a spike or the wall. So be prepared. That being said, it was very useful.

The other thing I had to test were the tog jigheads. I met the creator of the jigs when I was in New Rochelle over the summer. The Captain I was fishing with is buddies with the guy and told him I was a kayak guy. We had been talking about tog on the boat so he told me I had to try them. The creator hooked me up with some and told me to people know what I though about them, so I felt the need to give you the backstory. Here's the website- http://tidaltails.com/Black_Fish_jigs.htm. Anyway, they work! I'm not sure they are good in all tog places because they most definitely snag and hurt to loose. However, in places where there aren't that many snags they can be fun. I used the 1 oz inside the ships and just let the jig rest on the bottom with a somewhat slackish line. I could feel nibbles then the line would tug or start to move and I would set the hook. Sometimes the tog would sort of pick it up and i guess try to take it back to its hole. When that happened it was usually a bigger fish. I caught 6 in a place where three other kayakers had already fished so I guess it was a different presentation that they hadn't seen yet. Definitely fun on MH largemouth bass rod.

We went to Rudee afterwards and Toadfinger joined us. We caught a few trout but it was pretty slow. I ended up bringing home a nice 17.5" speck to be my one and only keeper of 2011.

It was a great trip and I had a blast fishing with the MKF gang. It was a great way to finish the 2011 season. I got my December fish, 12/12! I'm going to be on the road for work for awhile, so I'm glad it all worked out!

Hopefully the other guys will chime in and give their reports too, sorry for mine being so long!
    Last edited by Redfish12; 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Very nice Michael. Any pictures of the keepers? I need to get a tog rig set up so I can join you guys. Probably next year, I still have not gotten waders yet.
    Don
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
      Very nice Michael. Any pictures of the keepers? I need to get a tog rig set up so I can join you guys. Probably next year, I still have not gotten waders yet.
      Don
      Don, let me know whenever you want to go. I can hook you up with waders and a rod no problem man. Should be back out there for tog in March or April.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. How long does tog season last? More of a winter fish or around most of the year?
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

The spring and fall are definitely the peak times. When water temps are in the 60-50 degree range the tog seem to be the most active and buched up.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Michael.
            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Shield,

Tog will be at the Concret Ships next Saturday. The the water temp has been dropping 2-3F every week. The Water temp was 52-53F at the Concret ships last Saturday. I think the water temp will be 50F.

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks Joe. Can't make it next weekend, but maybe the following.
                Don
                2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

The Video

Here is the video:

Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I will definitely be togging next weekend!!

How Many rigs would you say you went through?
                    Last edited by CB kayak 02; 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Nice video Joe. Glad Grilled and I decided not to brave the wind at the first island. I've always avoided Kipto because we didn't think it was as productive as CBBT but that's obviously not the case.
                      2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                        I will definitely be togging next weekend!!

How Many rigs would you say you went through?
                        I don't usually loose any rigs at Concrete Ships, but 15+ at CBBT.

joe

Comment

Nice video Joe. Looks like you guys had a blast.
                          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Fantastic! Looks you guys had a great trip all around.

Comment

It looks like most of you guys are using conventional reels. Can you handle tog on regular spinning reels? Also what size sinkers are you guys using?
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X