Chesapeake 4/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chesapeake 4/24

Skunk skunk and more skunk. I trolled around the bay bridge for about 5 hrs and got nothing. I was listening on the radio and it seemed like everyone else was on the same boat as I. The weather was perfect for fishiing but the fishies did not want to play. One of my co-workers went down to bloody point and he said he got skunked also. He said he did not see one fish being brought in. I should of gone out Sunday but ended up doing other stuff. Weather looks decent this weekend..I will try again!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

I was also out trolling on Saturday. First trip on the bay for me this season. 5+ hours worth but did manage one at 38". Worked TPL to BPL, up to #86, back across to TPL. Then, got my one and only north from there in about 45' of water near the anchored ships. 6/4 white tandem about 150' back. No other knockdowns either.

Agree regarding weather. It was perfect. Also agree regarding the action... slooowww! With a couple exceptions seems to be everyone's story today. But it won't stop me from trying again!

Comment

I too tried again this weekend up at the flats. I trolled a swimming shad tandem and a parachute rig from 6:30 to about noon with nothing. I saw a lot of shore fisherman and they hadn't gotten anything either...although I did see some guy pull in a massive carp. A couple of guys had caught a few on surface lures at Sandy Point in Aberdeen, but for the most part I didn't see too many on the water. As I grew tired of trolling, I started jigging some of the bridge pilings and caught a nice catfish. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but it's still nice to know something hungry is down there. A friend of mine caught two keepers while trolling, one a 40" at the southern end of the bay. We're going to take his boat out Friday to try again. Catch something or not, I still got some great exercise and had a nice day on the water.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Where did you put in at the flats?

Comment

The place that I put in isn't the most legit of spots, but it's worked for me. There's an apartment complex at the corner of Seneca and Chesapeake that has shoreline access. I park in their lot and roll the kayak down to the water just past the "no trespassing" sign :-) I scope out spots using "atlas fresh logic studios" (it's an online detailed maps program, just google it) and I happened to see a spot with a bunch of canoes, so I knew if I could get the yak there I could drop it in the water. However, this last trip to the flats I noticed a small ramp next to the bridge on Water St. which is public access. I think there may be a box to drop in a fee, but I'm not sure. From that ramp north, it appears that it is a recreational park for the use of fishing activities and there's probably a shoreline to drop in there...I just hate to pay for a ramp when all I need is a water access.

What do the rest of you guys do as far as launching?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

The main Havre de Grace park and boat launch on Market St. is right around the corner from where you put in. It has 2 ramps, about 100 parking spaces, a restaurant, and outdoor bathroom facilities. There is no fee for kayaks. Just for trailered boats.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
              I was also out trolling on Saturday. First trip on the bay for me this season. 5+ hours worth but did manage one at 38". Worked TPL to BPL, up to #86, back across to TPL. Then, got my one and only north from there in about 45' of water near the anchored ships. 6/4 white tandem about 150' back. No other knockdowns either.

Agree regarding weather. It was perfect. Also agree regarding the action... slooowww! With a couple exceptions seems to be everyone's story today. But it won't stop me from trying again!

holy crap, you trolled from tpl to bpl? thats pretty far away from home isnt it? i understand trolling 20 miles total, but within a few miles, but thats what, 10 miles one way? thats a hell of a route you took by yak in 5 hours. hell of a fish too!!
              sigpic

Comment

No, no, not in a kayak. In a Sea Ray Amberjack 250. I know this is a yak site but I saw other reports and was just sharing my first spring trip on the bay. I doubt I could ever paddle across the bay! And with all that traffic? No way!!

The reason I was on the Amberjack is that the missus loves to be on the water too. But, prefers a comfy boat. She'll paddle a kayak as well but is not a fisher-person. And since this is spring rock time I had to get out there.

We belong to a boat club. www.carefreeboats.com It's sorta like a timeshare and works well for us. I've had boats all my life and know what it takes in maintenance and dollars. With the club; no maintenance, no insurance, no trailers, no problems and a lot less cost. Access to over 50 boats at 4 DC metro locations. On the Potomac in DC, Occoquan, Bodkin Creek in Pasadena and the South River in Edgewater. Locations up and down the coast we can use as well. There's one in Baltimore. Could never experience all that having my own boat. The only boat I will ever own now is a kayak!

As it turned out it was a flat calm day and would have been great in a kayak.

Comment

^ i never knew that existed. sounds like an awesome idea. how do you go about being a member?
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

how much?
                    sigpic

Comment

It is awesome. This is our 5th season. Best story I tell about it's value is one summer day me and the missus were going out from Pasadena on a 27' cruiser that we've never been on. Wasn't a fishing day. (of course, always have an outfit with me!) Swim, tubing, anchor up somewhere across the bay for lunch, etc. We got 10' from the dock and an electrical short killed that boat. The dock guys tossed us a line, helped take our stuff off and put us on another boat! If that was my own boat not only that day was ruined but maybe it's laid up for a week, 2 weeks for maintenance. And who knows how much $$. Now that was a Sunday in summer. We were also lucky another boat was available. But the bottom line is I don't worry about a stupid electrical problem. Ever!

I think it's the greatest thing since drive up ATM's !

As for cost, I really don't know today's programs. There's various. Month to month, 1 yr, 3 yr, etc. I've heard it averages $5k a year short term. Less on longer terms. If you can pay up front it's even less. When we signed we knew we were all in. We did the pro/con thing and it came up all pro. There was one con on the list: Would we use it enough? We do! The longest term at the time was 7yr. We happened to have the cash to pay up front so they gave us 3 additional years! We paid $23K. On average for 7 yr that's $274/month. Add the 3 years and we average $192 per month. I have 56 boats for that! And can get a boat in Florida or South Carolina or Virginia Beach for zero dollars. Just pay for the gas used.

I can put you in touch with someone if you want a referral. Probably wouldn't hurt. Or, you can go to the website and follow the the links under the contact tab along the top.

Comment

Hey guys,

If interested here's the guy to call. Tell him John Foley passed the word:

Leo Smith
                        leo@carefreeboats.com

As info, the Occoquan club is sponsoring a safe boating event on Sunday May 23rd, 2010. It's open to the public. Presenters include club members and the U.S. Coast Guard. This is also a Fund Raiser for the Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure.

You can come by and get details about the club at this event. It'll be at Madigan's Restaurant on the upper level from 11am until 2pm. If they put up a link with more details I'll post it...

Comment

Working...
                        X