• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Rudee Specks - Nov 19

Big Specks in Rudee Inlet – Nov 19, VA

I launched at 1:20PM after fishing the
    Concrete Ships at Kiptopeke State Park, VA
    in the morning.

There were large specks for two hours before I hit the water.
    I fished for two hours and went to work. I caught specks @10" and 17", and a striper @ 22". Since I had 4 tautog in my cooler, I did not keep a speck and a striper.

I saw 7 specks landed by a boater, and 13 specks landed by two anglers on another boat. The specks were 20-25" long.

They were using 3/8 – ½ oz jig head with 3-4” grey soft lures. I may come back to Rudee one more time in December.

Here is my fishing log:

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Drive down, fish, drive, fish again, drive home, then go to work. Pheww, Joe, you got zeal and energy!

I may go there this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a big speck.

Thanks for video, Joe!
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I may go there this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a big speck.

Thanks for video, Joe!
      Three local anglers told me this: High tide and grey lure

I may hit next weekend both kipto (low tide) and Rudee (high tide). It will be tough to hit the both places right time, but it's is do-able.

Kipto:

Nov 19 - The hole on the 2nd ship from the south, bay side hole (west) not shore side (east)

Apr this year - Inside the ship - I can't remember it was the first big hole (bay side) or the second (bayside) from the north. The entrance to the inside ship is smaller than others. I wouldn't spend more than 15 minutes in one place until i feel the tog bites. Tog are near the perimeter to the shore side. The video shows the inside view of the hole. You can see Michael and small and long (vertically) opening to the shore side at 3:30 -04:10 timeline on the video.

Good Luck!

joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Comment on Kipto

As I remember wreck #1 (from the north) is the only one with a big enough hole to go through. The other wrecks just have holes that you could stick your rod through to fish. Never tried that, so maybe I'll try it. I think HokieDJ and Minh tried this method with success.

I heard and also saw togs caught in or along wrecks # 2, 6, 7, and 8 (again, counting from the north end). I guess we'll just have to try all possibilities.

Again, good video. Thanks!
        Last edited by tufnik; 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yes don't be afraid to throw the bait inside the ship and pull them outside. Just be careful when you set the hook and it snags instead. That rod will come flying out of your hand .

Comment

Working...
          X