The Ditch 11-13-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ditch 11-13-11

Well my buddy and I got to the ditch right before first light. We paddled up the creek, past the bathtub, and decided to anchor up and make a few casts. Nothing for about the first 5 casts, then hooked up with the first trout of the day, 14 1/2", so I tossed her back. Next cast, next trout, 14" on the button and I tossed her back too. Both were caught on 4" Chartreuse Gulp Mullets. Then after that we decided to paddle further down and try our luck, trolling the entire time, and not one single bite. So we worked our way down to the bridge, and still nothing. But there sure was no shortage of boats. The place was packed, I mean packed to the brim and I couldn't see how anymore boats could fit in one spot, but they just kept on coming. So we fished and fished and fished trying everything in our arsenal, and live bait, a few hits on the live bait but that's about it. The wind was pretty brutal all day also. So we decided to pack it in and make the paddle back to the ramp when the rod I was trolling heaved over. I almost didn't notice it because I was trying to prevent my hat from blowing off my head at the same time. So I reeled it in and there was a 19 incher on the hook. So I went home with my dignity still intact and It put a bright spot on the day. I don't see myself fishing there again on the weekend anytime soon. If I ever do go back, it's going to be after dark in the middle of the week and it'll probably still be crowded. I can't get over how many people fish there. I even saw a charter out there! I guess it could have been worse, I could have been at work.

--Perry
    12' Kingfish
    21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
    Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Nice speck. Where is the Ditch?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks! Its on the Elizabeth River in the Southern Branch area of Portsmouth. Right underneath the I-64 High Rise Bridge.
      12' Kingfish
      21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
      Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Comment

Ohhhhhh.......it's way down there. I guess you live in that area. Well, thanks for the report. It's good to hear how the fishing is in other parts. We're mostly familiar with HRBT, Rudee, Lynnhaven, etc. And it's a trip for us to drive down there. Glad I asked, otherwise most of us wouldn't know where the Ditch is.

Have you fished Back River? JRB? What do you think about those places? Do people expect citation stripers around there (as well as the Ditch) during Nov/Dec?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
        X