Mosquito Lagoon by boat & yak, 11/11 & 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito Lagoon by boat & yak, 11/11 & 11/12

I was in Daytona Beach for a conference for most of the week, so I decided I would charter a guide and maybe rent a kayak after the conference before flying back. I had never fished in Florida before, so I was hoping a getting a shot at a keeper redfish (a milestone that still eludes me), some big specks, or some other species that I haven’t caught before.

I met Capt. Drew Cavanaugh of Florida Inshore Fishing Charters at the ramp in Mosquito Lagoon at 6:30am on Friday, November 11th for a half-day charter. The sunrise was pretty nice:

The air temperature was 45*, and the wind was blowing a steady 25-30mph. These were less than ideal conditions for site fishing in shallow water, especially since the wind was blowing toward the sun for most of the day, which makes for tough drifts. The water was crystal clear in most places as long as the bottom wasn’t muddy and the fetch wasn’t too long:

We saw lots of fish, but because of the wind, waves, and sun, we usually didn’t see them until they saw us. There were tons of reds in the 20-30” range and lots of really big mullet, too. I wouldn’t have minded catching one of those, either, but I don’t think they really hit lures that often.

Anyway, we finally spotted a redfish that hadn’t been spooked yet. I casted at it and reeled the lure past its nose. It turned toward my lure, started to open its mouth, but thought better of it and turned away. That was my only good shot at a red that day. We hit a couple more spots, and the guide picked up a few specks in the 12-14” range. I had some nibbles in the same spot, but couldn’t connect.

We called it quits at 1pm, which was an hour and a half longer than the trip was supposed to be. We were both cold and beat by that point. Capt. Cavanaugh spent almost the entire time poling the boat in those crazy winds, which I can’t imagine doing. He pointed out that the place where he caught the trout wasn’t too far from a kayak rental place, so I could try that area the next day.

After we got back to the launch, I headed to New Smyrna Beach, which is where the kayak rental place was. I asked about rates, grabbed a quick lunch there, and then went to Canaveral National Seashore to poke around. There were two little fishing piers there. I tried my luck but only had a few nibbles. I saw a bunch of dolphins and also an armadillo, all of which were really cool.

While I was out with the guide, we saw dolphins crashing bait like stripers and blues do here. That was pretty awesome.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Yak report

I was at JB’s Fish Camp at 7:30am on Saturday to rent a kayak and try my luck on my own. As rental places go, it wasn’t great. They only had Ocean Kayak Frenzies and a slightly longer kayak called a Splash, neither of which are great for fishing. I grabbed a Splash, which is only 10ft long and really slow. The life jackets were the big, bulky kind that make it impossible to paddle while wearing. Fortunately, most of the lagoon is only 2ft deep, but I hate not wearing a PFD.

Fortunately, the weather was much nicer that day. I started heading for where I thought we caught the specks, but I couldn’t figure out how to get there. After about an hour of trying, I gave up and started fishing where I was. There was no seagrass where I was, and there wasn’t much clear water. Where the water was clear, there were either tons of dolphins spooking fish or oyster beds, which we never fished around the day before. Eventually, I had some nibbles on a white grub with a pink tail, and something bit the tail off. I switched to Ron’s blue and white XRap and caught a 5” pinfish, which was a new species for me. There was a pretty lagoon within the lagoon there:

I thought I saw the island I was looking for and headed toward it only to be wrong again. It was about 10:30 by this point, so I started working my way back to the launch. I switched to a 4” electric chicken paddle tail Bass Assassin on a weighted swimbait hook. I was blind casting near Canaveral National Seashore when I saw 3 redfish in the 20-24” range heading toward my lure. I couldn’t tell exactly where my lure was, so I paused my retrieve. The lead fish turned toward the lure, and I felt it pick it up. I set the hook, but I must’ve been a bit too soon because I jerked the red’s head out of the water, it opened its mouth, and the lure came flying back at me. All three fish took off after that.

I hit some docks that weren’t far from the ramp and finally picked up a speck in the 12” range:

I caught 5 more in short order, with the biggest at around 16-17” (I think) and pretty fat:

So now I’ve caught specks in 3 states, which is pretty cool. I had to head in at that point, but I wish I could’ve stayed longer. I also wish I had rented a stand up paddle board they had there. It probably would’ve been faster, and I could’ve site casted. However, I wasn’t sure how easy they are to balance on, and I didn’t think this was a good time to find out. I’ll have to try one in case I make it down there again. The lagoon was one place where a Hobie would be a distinct disadvantage because so much of the water is so shallow. A Redfish, Ride, or Stealth would probably be better because you could paddle between places, then stand and cast.
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

A few more pics:

Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice report, I'm hoping to get on some FLA fish around xmas time during a family vacation in Islamorada.

Comment

Good report and photos. I enjoy fishing in new places when I have the chance. I'm glad you got out and were able to find the spec.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome report, thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed the read and pics.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great report and some really good pictures, Bill- I am headed to Hood, Oregon, Saturday for a business trip- While there, I am taking a slight detour Sunday to go salmon fishing the mouth of the Columbia River in the Pacific Ocean for Chinooks- got to join the 40 pounder club eariler this Spring- nice patch! Hope to equal that Sunday-

Kevin and I killed them while you were gone in your favorite hole- not directly in the inlet-Friday (Vets Day) was windy (NW30 +) to the point the inlet had breaking surf- but the fish were biting- went back Sunday and caught six keepers and one short- I kept a 23 and a 22- while cleaning them I noticed a nasty skin lesion near the tail of the 22 incher- I fileted them (skinless) and then went on line to see what was what with the lesion- ugh! Ignorance is bliss- Mycrobacterial infection- in an abundance of caution, I chunked the fliets- scrubbed my hands (Had a fin wound on my right thumb that bled) in warm soapy water two or three times and put on lots of Watkins lotion.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice report Bill. The fishing gods smile on Florida. What a great place to fish. I always make it a point to fish a few days when I am there.

Comment

excellent Bill, i wish it wasnt so hot in key west i would have rented a yak there. oyster beds and sand holes in the grass hold fish. mirrorlures like top dog jr and she dog will work for reds and strike king zero worms on an unweighted hook work for trout. going to try and get back to the keys in april and do some back country kayaking.

Comment

Great pics Bill! Glad to see you got a chance to fish down there!
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Very nice report. I am heading to Key West in the morning with a few friends. We have a 6 hour charter on Friday. It is more of a drinking trip then a fishing trip. I will post a report when I get back next week.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Nice pics Bill.
                        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
                        X