Recording your fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording your fishing

I'm thinking about getting into the whole game of recording my fishing with video camera for next season. My wife is a professional video editor and she wants me to get a camera so she can edit my videos as a fun side project. I know a lot of people use the GoPro cameras, but the price on those is a bit steep. What other cameras do you guys use?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I use a Contour GPS. I love it. Pretty soon I'm gonna mount the contour on the yak facing me, and have the iPhone attached to my head for dual POV.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Vio PIO.

The best thing about it is the remote control and the built in small LCD on the control box.

Comment

Probably not the *best* solution, but you could just get a $200 waterproof point-n-shoot camera with video. With a large enough memory card you can probably leave it recording the entire time you're out there.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
          Vio PIO.

The best thing about it is the remote control and the built in small LCD on the control box.
          +1 ....... waterproof and almost indestructable and 1 option records in a continuous loop so you can tag a segment after the action is completed ......... ever see something really neat happen ....... with most cameras you'll miss it ......... with the vio pov you just touch a button on the remote and what you just saw is preserved ......... pricy though

Go Pro is in the middle ........

Here's 1 on the low end that a couple of people like ....... Drift 170HD Stealth

Oh ..... and here's a deal on ......... a new one for less than 1/2 price ........ these cams are used professinally for action stuff too ..... this one is high dvd quality I think .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vio-Pov-1-5-...336bcfd025EBAY
          Last edited by Memory Maker; 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I have the Canon D10. I bought because it was among the most highly rated for picture quality. Video is mediocre. I heard the GoPro was rated among the best for video for a small waterproof camera. Still pics were rated just Ok.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i'm using fujifilm xp20 and am happy with it. waterproof, 14Mpix, 5x optical zoom, + more digi zoom, shoots hd movies, face recognition, has flash,...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CIUBEPMCMAA#

on/off button is a little weird, and battery closure latch is too. work-able for sure, but those items really should be redesigned to be dummy-proof. i'd say biggest problem is capturing the whole scene. not impossible, not easy. it has a wide angle lens, but not fish eye.

i think the xp10 is very similar and less expensive, but shoots sd movies, not hd.

i ruined my xp20 and fujifilm replaced it with a new one under warranty. i don't want to say it was my fault, but not really sure what happened.

i originally ordered mine on the net, with free ship-to-store at kmart and saved $$.

here's pic from nanticoke last week.
              Last edited by Southerly; 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I have a kodak playsport. 1080p drains the battery but it was under $100 on Amazon. You're welcome to test mine if you want.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll do a little research on the ones everyone has suggested. How does everyone actually use their camera to shoot video? Do you mount it to your yack or strap it to your head? Or wear it some other way?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I use a GoPro with the bacpac and a 32gb sd card. The bacpac is just an extra battery that allows me to record for about 5-6 hours. The GoPro is great for wide angle shots but is really limited if you want to point and shoot. Most of us just have them installed up front and carry another camera for stills but it's all preference.
                    2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Yakfisher View Post
                      I use a GoPro with the bacpac and a 32gb sd card. The bacpac is just an extra battery that allows me to record for about 5-6 hours. The GoPro is great for wide angle shots but is really limited if you want to point and shoot. Most of us just have them installed up front and carry another camera for stills but it's all preference.
                      Actually that is what I am planning on doing next year. I have an Olympus Stylus 1080. It is water proof and takes great videos at 1080p. I plan on getting a GOPRO to install infront of me. I have already installed the mount for it. I just need the GoPro.

Comment

What mounts are you guys using?
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

i mounted my camera to a 'quikpod' monopod and can stick that in homemade pvc mount system that mounts in outback's rodholders. a piece of pool noodle on the quikpod, just in case. a little insulation tape and lectric tape where needed to take up clearances. a work in progress.

Comment

I have a ram mount that goes into the sail mast hole and a 6" ram extention that the camera attaches to... No drilling required and it's easy to install/remove.
                            2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Mine is a ram camera mount on the front side of my revo just beyond my peddles.

Comment

Working...
                              X