11/12/2011 Kipto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/12/2011 Kipto

Went down with my friend to close out the 2011 fishing season looking for togs and to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke the first time around. Winds were 15-20 again so we headed to the southern ships first. There were about 5 other kayakers out there and 2 small boats looking for the same thing or stripers. After 4 hours of searching for the togs at both the southern and northern ships, I finally landed one but he didn't pass the eyeball test so I let him go since I forgot my measuring stick in the truck and my friend was 2 ships down.

What came next was most fun I had in a while fishing. We finally found the spot they were hiding and started hooking them left and right. It got to a point where we would take turns fishing the spot and hooking them as soon as 5 seconds after the drop. One person would wait in line and come in as soon as the other hooked a fish and drifted away to rebait and queued up again. Most were between 13"-14". I stopped counting after my tenth one and I went home with a 14.5" and 17" while my friend took home a 17.5" and 18".

Nice work!! Got any pics?

Comment

Comment

Nice going!!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice. Good job.

Comment

nice job....that makes up for the crappy night at HRBT!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks. HRBT sucked. I have bad night vision as is already but I was totally lost out here. I expected to see stacked fish or even fish silhouettes but all I saw were the light reflections and waves.

I'm not going out again unless it's with someone who has caught something to show my blind ass what it's like.

Comment

Good stuff man! We were too early for the Tog when we went. I wanna get down there ASAP!!!

Comment

Nice fat one!

We have to put in the time. The odds will catch up. Keeping going and one day we'll hit paydirt at HRBT.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Maybe when I get the evolve. I can't keep up with you Tufnik!

If you guys go down for togs, fwiw I had action both times on the beginning of the outgoing tide after slack.

Comment

Way to go, Dave!
                      Kipto was the right call.

Joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah ........ we were there to in a 20' dual console. Saw you hook that first 1 I think. We were headed to the cut between before Fisherman's Island but it was too rough to get out ....... there were 3-4 fters coming in the channel between the ships ........ fished for awhile but no love ........ then I contacted Toadfish and he said it was calm on the other side of the bridge so off we went ........ fished stripers and got one in the 2 hrs fishing before dark .......... went back on Sunday and the winds were worse ...... ended he ended w/1 tog ........ I had 2 on but the power pro broke each time .... switched rods and no more bites ......... first time I.ve been skunked in years ...... sure hope it's not a trend ........

Monday was even worse so we came home

Comment

Oh was that you in the blue top boat I overheard talking about evolve? I saw you guys trying to leave in the middle of the ships. That was a scary crossing. At one point, I surfed the 4 ft waves and decide it was a dumb idea and turn around the peddled head on instead

Comment

Dave,

What was your bait and where did you get your bait?

joe
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe,

Blue crab from Lotto. I picked the nice lively big ones to quarter. I kept them alive and not break their claws until i'm ready to quarter them. One of those bastards pinched the heck out of my finger for 30 seconds until i could find a pliers.

What we did was "chum" the area by throwing all the crab parts we didn't use to entice them to come out. Not sure if it mattered but we think it did.

Comment

Working...
                              X