Priority list...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priority list...

Well i picked up my first yak today, a Perception Kingfish 12' sit on top. Already has a Scotty rod holder on it and I put a crate together today with 3 rod holders and a light I made from 3/4" PVC and a green LED Coleman light stick on top for after dark until I can get a good one ordered. So to the point, what should be the necessary gear I need to get? I also have an anchor already, but want to install a trolley system. Thanks guys!
    12' Kingfish
    21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
    Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Sounds like you have everything to start out with except a PFD...

Fish Finders are a good investment too...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

A whistle and maybe a flag.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Have you gotten a paddle yet? A trolley is a good start. Make sure it goes from bow to stern. Good advice about the PFD. You should have one that is comfortable. A small air horn would be a good addition, should you be out in boating traffic.

Comment

^ good advice! PFD, signaling device, flag, white light for night time, small air horn, paddle leash, rod leashes, small first aid kit and a small dry bag to keep some tools in like linesman pliers to cut stray hooks that find there way into your skin

Comment

Congrats! Everything suggested above, plus:
            • waterproof pants (keeping a dry butt is always nice),
            • waterproof GPS (it's not always easy to find your way back to port),
            • waterproof camera (fish stories are just that, stories, unless you bring home some evidence),
            • waterproof smartphone case (you just caught an awesome fish but you're not sure what the legal limit is? pull out your iphone in the middle of the bay and google it!)

Fishfinder is definitely a good one. If not to find fish, just to know the depth of the waters you're in.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Three of those are the same one- I have the 32GB IPhone 4S- and I have the Lifeproof waterproof case for it- you can go swimming with your IPhone- It has a very good camera- I also have the Fly To Map GPS program for the IPhone- viola- waterproof GPS...the case is pricey but it protects a very expensive smart phone- www.lifeproof.com/mip4
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-15-2011, 06:42 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for all the great info as usual! Well I have chest waders from water fowl hunting that I use so they work great. I'm going to need to get the PFD, flag, air horn, and trolley system. The safety equipment I will get asap. The leashes are a great idea because I lost a $200 spinning setup overboard 3 weeks ago in my buddies yak. Thanks again guys!
                12' Kingfish
                21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
                Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Comment

Working...
                X