Good Shadin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Shadin'

Decided to go last minute yesterday afternoon after work. The missus understands! (I'm very lucky that way) Sans kayak but it pays to keep fishing gear in the car.

Perfect conditions. Overcast all day, an evening incoming tide and fading daylight. A little cold drizzle at one point but nothing major. Had a nice, steady pick until quitting with enough time to climb safely over wet rocks and get back to the car just before dark.

Best outing for me on the Potomac so far this season. Couldn't tell you how many. Isn't it great when you lose track?!?! Will try it again Thursday evening...

Tight lines!
    John

Nice..thanks for the report.

What kind of shad were you getting...hickories? Were you using shad darts?
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

All hickories on darts. Chartreuse/white hair was working nicely until I lost it on the bottom. Switched to yellow/red/white hair and that worked just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
        All hickories on darts. Chartreuse/white hair was working nicely until I lost it on the bottom. Switched to yellow/red/white hair and that worked just as well.
        You're out of Fairfax right? Did you come up around the bridge or did you get into them down there? I caught a few Hickories back in late March, but it seemed every other cast I snagged a Gizzard shad.

Did you see any American Shad caught? I'm planning on heading out this weekend to see if I can find some of those. See any Rock caught? I know they are not long behind the American and I heard a few were caught this week.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
          Decided to go last minute yesterday afternoon after work. The missus understands! (I'm very lucky that way) Sans kayak but it pays to keep fishing gear in the car.

Perfect conditions. Overcast all day, an evening incoming tide and fading daylight. A little cold drizzle at one point but nothing major. Had a nice, steady pick until quitting with enough time to climb safely over wet rocks and get back to the car just before dark.

Best outing for me on the Potomac so far this season. Couldn't tell you how many. Isn't it great when you lose track?!?! Will try it again Thursday evening...

Tight lines!
          John
          nice job

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          You're out of Fairfax right? Did you come up around the bridge or did you get into them down there? I caught a few Hickories back in late March, but it seemed every other cast I snagged a Gizzard shad.

Did you see any American Shad caught? I'm planning on heading out this weekend to see if I can find some of those. See any Rock caught? I know they are not long behind the American and I heard a few were caught this week.
          i read on fletcher's report that rock have been caught, but the water temp is rising quickly so they may be already heading back out to cooler, open water.
          sigpic

Comment

Fairfax, yes. And yes, by the bridge last night. I decided that at the last minute too, instead of dealing with the traffic trying to get to Fletcher's.

I only saw hickories. I've seen reports of few American's but I've not seen any myself. Nor any rock. I've not seen anyone targeting them other than perhaps the bait fisherman.

Comment

Working...
            X