Christening of a Kayak (2011 Blue Revo) and a striper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening of a Kayak (2011 Blue Revo) and a striper

I bought a 2011 Hobie Revolution 13 (a demo kayak from Backyard Boats). Well I couldn’t wait until the weekend to test the new kayak. So next day after work, I went to Pohick Bay to fish for striper. I caught one striper few days ago unexpectedly. So I believed that striper would be there at the same place. I hooked 3 stripers but landed only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xyxxo3SsjA

joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice video and fish, thanks for sharing. Glad you got fish on the boat on the maiden voyage!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice fish on first trip out.
      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Congratulations on the new yak and great job getting it slimy on the first trip.

You found a nice little striper hole in your back yard. Thanks for sharing the video with us.

Comment

Nice Joe. Congrats on christening the new yak. How do you like it compared to the Adventure?

And thanks for the reminder about fishing here in the backyard. Gotta get there more often.

Comment

nice Joe, we wont see too many nice days like that again this year

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
              Nice Joe. Congrats on christening the new yak. How do you like it compared to the Adventure?

And thanks for the reminder about fishing here in the backyard. Gotta get there more often.
              John,

Adventure: heavier (feels like by 20lb but actually less than 10lb and long (by 3’). This makes me hard to carry and store Adventure. I could put the Revo on the top of my SUV without a difficulty.

Adventure is faster during pedaling but not by much. But when I paddled with rudder up and fins tucked, the Revo was slower that I expected

But turning Revo is great. Fishing close to pilings or structures (i.e.,Togging CBBT) was always a challenge with Adventure. This is one of the main reasons I wanted a Revo.

I had the line tangled on the rudder while fishing with a 6’ rod. I could manage to free the line because I could put the rod top beyond the rudder. On the Adventure, I couldn’t do this. It is also difficult for me on the Adventure to swing around rod from one side of the bow to the other side.

I could open the bow hatch while laying on my stomach on the Revo. But I was not comfortable doing it on the Adventure. So many times, I jumped in the water then open the bow hatch to pull out the spare rods when I was on the Adventure in the reasonably calm water.

The usable space under the center hatch of Revo is much bigger than that of Adventure. I can carry tons of stuff inside the Revo center hatch. I also mounted the transducer (using Duct Seal) on the side of the center hatch inside for easy access while fishing.

Oh the new drive comes with a hole, so I tethered the drive very easily.

I had to think for a long time to mount the FF on the Revo because the Revo comes with less usable space than the Adventure. I mounted the FF on mast hole for the sailing. I made a FF holder with PVC pipe and bungee cord. The wires come out of the bow hatch. I did not put any holes for this work. The rod holder is completely removable. I made sure that the Pedals don’t hit the FF, and also I made sure I can open the hatch while I am on the water.

Mounting Ram Tubes on the sides is easy on the Revo. I can use either Bow hatch or center hatch to use a ratchet for tightening the nuts inside kayak. On the other hand, it was tough to access the nuts through the center hatch on the Adventue, especially starboard side. Some people use well nuts on the Adventure.

The usable space inside the stern hatch of Revo looks bigger but I don’t know what to carry yet.

I am not planning sailing on the Revo. Revo doesn’t come with dagger board hole.

The Revo will be my primary kayak for fishing.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
              X