Problem Solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Solved

Last outing I had a problem with my Torque. Long story short...the motor quit on me shortly after launch. I suspected the problem to be a faulty kill switch. I was right, the kill switch is what failed, but I was still kinda surprised at how/why it failed.

My "team of engineers" and I tore the kayak apart on Sunday. Armed with hand tools and a multimeter, we got to work. Once we got major components disassembled, we tested everything for continuity in attempts to logically troubleshoot/pinpoint the faulty component.

With the killswitch removed & bypassed, I still had no power to the motor. Turns out I had wires connected incorrectly I assumed the kill switch was straight up "broke" and needed replacement. Turns out that the culprit was water in the kill switch. My buddy tapped the switch upside down on a flat surface and water began to trickle out. After the water was out of the switch, it gave good readings when we tested the continuity again. Once we figured that out, it worked perfectly again.

Ocean Kayak has been great with helping me through this issue. I chatted with one of the engineers/designers of this yak. He sent me all of the information I needed to troubleshoot, and even offered to assist over the phone should I need it. OK offered me all of the replacement parts that might have been necessary, including the entire control module. I will have them send me a replacement kill switch & relay.

I also punched out the riveted motor connection to test voltage on that end of the system. I planned on replacing that anyhow, so this week I'll be heading to BPS to get a replacement plug & socket for the motor. I want one thats a lil bit more durable and corrosion resistant.

A relay SHOULD be in place of those wire caps, according to the schematics OK sent me.

the culprit...

the main control circuit board thingy ma jiggy (technical term)

testing the main relay...

<insert witty comment here>

Glad to see you're back in the game ........... how did you make out w/the car batttery ......

Comment

Wow, that looks way complicated. Glad my torqueedo only has two wires; one from motor to battery and one from battery to control....
      Also, glad you figured it out! Are you going to try a final crabbing trip for the year?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        Glad to see you're back in the game ........... how did you make out w/the car batttery ......
        After Ryan gave me a jump it worked out fine. It's definitely time to replace the car battery though...

Wow, that looks way complicated. Glad my torqueedo only has two wires; one from motor to battery and one from battery to control....
        Also, glad you figured it out! Are you going to try a final crabbing trip for the year?
        It's not too bad after figuring out what's what. Maybe one day I'll put everything in a neat little box so I only see two wires too. lol...probably not though.

I am undecided if I'm gonna do a final crabbing trip. Lord knows I want to. I just ordered parts for my lithium ion battery (building the battery pack myself). I would like to use that if I get the components soon enough. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          After Ryan gave me a jump it worked out fine. It's definitely time to replace the car battery though...

It's not too bad after figuring out what's what. Maybe one day I'll put everything in a neat little box so I only see two wires too. lol...probably not though.

I am undecided if I'm gonna do a final crabbing trip. Lord knows I want to. I just ordered parts for my lithium ion battery (building the battery pack myself). I would like to use that if I get the components soon enough. We shall see.

Let us know how the battery pack build goes. Where are you ordering your cells from?

Comment

I'll be sure to report. This is my first time doing anything of the sort. I've been researching for a while, and after seeing whats out there, doesnt seem like there's much to it. I am ordering my cells from Alliance Renewable Energy, in Cali. They basically import from China and ship the cells. I have been in contact with numerous manufacturers in China. But I've decided against dealing directly. Freight costs for such a small order easily negate cost savings. Most of the manufacturers wanted a bank transfer in advance, with a 6-8 week shipping time. I didn't feel confortable with that.

I'm building a 60ah (768Wh) pack. It will weigh approximately 20lbs. I originally intended to buy/build a 40aH (512Wh) set up which would only weigh 14lbs, but battery life is a BIG deal to me. It will be a vast upgrade/improvement from my current battery, which weighs just over 53lbs.

Comment

I am glad you got this fixed. You should do one more crabbing trip. I'll go with ya. Crabs are running good down south......I do not know about the Severn though. I know a guy a few days ago was able to catch 3 bushels near the South River (but he worked 8 hours for it).

Comment

If I do, it will definitely be down south. Either Broomes like we spoke of, or maybe even Solomons. The only problem now is my schedule. Push come to shove, I will probably end up calling out sick from work to do a weekday. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Actually, a week day is good for me too. Give me advance notice. I will do the same. That way we can avoid boat traffic.

Comment

geez looks like the wiring on the space shuttle glad you got it sorted out

Comment

Metro, go to Walmart and get the Minn Kota plug and socket there. It's only $25, they want $45 at BPS for the same one...ask me how I know...

This is the same one I installed in my boys kayak.

Comment

Mullet miller. Thanks for the excellent tip! I'll follow your advice to save that $$$

Comment

Working...
                        X