Mounting a Transducer for the 385ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a Transducer for the 385ci

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to mount the transducer for my new Hummingbird 385ci. I currently have been using a duct putty concoction that surfdog showed me last year and worked good until the last time I used it then I got no signal from the Transducer. So now I have this new unit and it reccomends a wet well mount and not sure which is better. I think I like the idea of the wet mount just looks like a lot of work and I'm not too good at doing the mechanical part of this stuff. I am also planning on mounting my Yak up and under my carport and will need some help with that if anyone is up for it. My treat for lunch and beer for any volunteers...
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

I have installed transducers on two kayaks and a small skiff by gluing them to the inside of the hull using Goop. It is easy, and the sonar results have worked well for me. However, it becomes a permanent mount and does not allow for an accurate temperature reading. If you want to do an installation like that, I would be happy to help.

Several of the other guys here have experience with the wet well installation. They find it easy and seem to like the results. I have no familiarity with that method and cannot provide any guidance.

If you choose to follow the Goop glue in method, let me know. Regarding the kayak storage project, what method are you proposing for holding or moving the kayak (racks, pulleys, etc.)?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks john. Not sure how I'm gonna do the transducer for sure yet. The prob with goop is that I've heard of issues with air bubbles and not getting a clear immage will investigate further on that issue. As for the kayak carpoort storage, I have a few choices. I'm leaning towards utilizing two bicycle storage systems with the attatched pullys. I also have a different type of universal pully and rope storage. Thanks for for the offer. Will let u know
      Tom Brown
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
        Thanks john. Not sure how I'm gonna do the transducer for sure yet. The prob with goop is that I've heard of issues with air bubbles and not getting a clear immage will investigate further on that issue.
        The key is to squeeze out a puddle of Goop steadily without agitating it. Then set the transducer carefully in place and rock it gently to seat it properly. If you are careful, there will be no bubbles in the way. None of my three installations had any problems with bubbles or lost signals.

The attached photo shows a transducer just Gooped into my OK Drifter. This was my first glue-in installation and I was pretty nervous about it. I set a splitting wedge on top to hold it firmly in place while the Goop dried.
        Attached Files
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I found a step-by-step description of the transducer and fishfinder installation in an old Tidalfish post at http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ion?highlight=.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Comment

You're right, medic. There are issues with the goop method. After a while the goop will delaminate and air will eventually get in. I did some checking on the subject, and found the best solution is the wet box method. JJoley has a thread on it.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks John and Tufnik. I appreciate the info. I had heard of using the Goop thing but will prob go with a wet install. Working with the Goop makes me nervous...Will check with Foley to see what he has.
              Thanks again to both of you,
              Tom
              Tom Brown
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I just recently started using the 385Ci. I mount my transducer through a scupper hole, Ocean Kayak. The thing I like most is I added a Navionics Fish and Chip to the card slot. It now shows all the contour lines. I just follow those lines while trolling. It helps to eliminate running up into shallow water and keeps one on the fish. I do like that feature.

Of couse my first use of the 385 was the meet and greet. So I didn't get to use it for long. Of course, I can attest that the 385 is waterproof.

Comment

In hopes of not sounding like an idiot...If I knew how to go threw the scupper hole I would. Hell I've got 4 of them! LOL. Do you use a suction cup? if not what do you use to keep the transducer in place?
                  Tom Brown
                  2012 Hobie PA 14'
                  Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I use a through-the-scupper hole transducer in my Prowler Trident. Works great. Prior to that, I used the suction cup transducer for easy portability. I got annoyed with the cup popping off every now and then during a trip. When the water was cold, it was even more annoying to dip my hand in the water several times to reattach. The cold temperature also makes it harder for the cup to hold. I tried to keep the cup and the hull area well conditioned with Armor All. It was better, but it still detaches.

On my Outback I have used the wet box method (with my transom mount transducer) for several months now. No problems. JJoley's thread uses a plexiglass cover. I simply cut the top end of a plastic 64 oz Ocean Spray juice bottle as my cover. I cut a hole on the side of this "dome" to feed the cable through. The transducer was gooped and nylon tied to the inside of the dome. So the transducer hangs (facing downward) from the dome. The dome was placed on top of the electrical putty already stuck to the hull. The top of the dome still had the cap. I pour tap water through it to fill the dome.

After a while, with all the temperature changes, the goop method doesn't work well. Delamination or separation starts. Note: This is not my personal experience. I learned this from others who have. They also favor the wet box method.
                    Last edited by tufnik; 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

When I get my new outback hull, Im think of doing a scupper transducer mount. How does this work when you are launching or beaching the kayak? Do you have to be careful of not running aground to far so the transducer is not damaged? Currently I have a Humminbird FF on my Ascend FS10 and had a Eagle Cuda on the outback. The Humminbird is a better FF as it has GPS and Sonar. I'm going to swap Humminbird to the new outback hull and but the Eagle Cuda on the Ascend FS10 yak. Question is has anyone rigged up something that allows them to use a transom mount transducer through the scupper? Im thinking some pvc pipe will be involved...
                      I found this post as my inspiration:
                      http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...?topic=22570.0
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                        In hopes of not sounding like an idiot...If I knew how to go threw the scupper hole I would. Hell I've got 4 of them! LOL. Do you use a suction cup? if not what do you use to keep the transducer in place?
                        Humminbird has an exchange policy for transducerss. You send back the one that came with your unit and exchange for the one you need. You have to call Humminbird to arrange for the swap. If I recall correctly, the through hull that you will need does cost a few extra dollars. Humminbird is easy to deal with. Then just put it through the hole.

I have not had any problem when beaching the kayak, as to hitting the transducer.

Comment

Shady, Nice idea on that link. Don, I was wondering that about the transducer with Hummingbird. I was thinking about calling their Customer Service line and enquire about just that... You just cemented the end result. Gonna call them tomorrow after I get the Dimensions on the scupper holes on my BPS Ascend FS12T.
                          Once agian, all I had to do was ask on this forum and in the words of my favorite Chef, Bamm!!! You all ALWAYS come through for me, Now I just have to make it happen, and I'm not what I would lable as Mechanically enclined. Just ask Surfdog. He's been here to help me SEVERAL times!!! Thanks, John!
                          Tom Brown
                          2012 Hobie PA 14'
                          Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I just found this link on Hummingbird. Think I may do that one. Any comment on this type of install??
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLDIW...layer_embedded
                            Tom Brown
                            2012 Hobie PA 14'
                            Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

hey Tom, thats similar to the vaseline method that works for me, i just used a kitchen sponge cut out the shape of the transducer, clean the area and silicone the sponge in place then add about 1/8" of vaseline in the cut out and put the transducer in the cutout and secure with ty wraps if possible. i transport right side up and havent had a problem with leaking but upsidedown might be a problem in the summer

Comment

Working...
                              X