New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Greetings all! My name is John Foley. I live in Fairfax, VA. Hope you all don't mind a VA guy joining! Most of my fishing in in the Maryland portion of the bay. Striped bass, rockfish are my favorite target for many years. Originally from NYC. Spent some time in San Francisco and Richmond, VA as well. Been fishing all my life.

I'm new at kayak fishing. My wife and I went to Costa Rica in December and we tried it there. All I can say is... awesome! Did a lot of surf fishing in NY & NJ back in the day. Kayak fishing reminds of that somewhat as it brings me closer to the fish than a power boat could ever do.

I was actually directed here to snaggedline.com by stupidjet via tidalfish. This looks like a focused group here. Interested to meet up and get to know many of you guys.

Tight lines!
    John

Welcome to site and thanks for joining. Kayak fishing in Costa Rica most be a blast. What kind of fish were you catching?

Where in MD do you usually go fishing?
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Costa Rica is awesome. Snappers and jacks mostly. What I really wanted was rooster fish but, didn't happen. Knowing what I know now I would book a couple trips next time. Ralph, the guide I used is really into fishing: http://www.costaricawildfishing.com/index.html

Nice guy. Also did an offshore trip and caught several sailfish. Costa Ricans are very friendly. Great place, a lot to see and do.

I belong to a boat club. www.carefreeboats.com It's sorta like a timeshare and it works well for us. No maintenance, no insurance, no problems. Access to over 50 boats at 4 DC metro locations. DC on the Potomac, Occoquan, Bodkin Creek in Pasadena and the South River in Edgewater. Locations up and down the coast we can use as well.

When I run out of Bodkin I'll fish the knolls, Baltimore & Sandy Pt light areas, mouth of the Chester and the bridge. From the South River I'll work TPL, mouth of the Severn, Hacketts Pt, Bloody Pt, Eastern Bay, Poplar Is and points south.

I have moderate success. I hate trolling in a power boat but it is effective. But I am really looking forward to using the kayak. Maybe get it wet tomorrow. Weather is looking good!

Comment

Welcome! Man, I would love to fish for snappers and jacks. sounds like a blast. what are you paddling?
        sigpic

Comment

My first season will be on an Ocean Kayak Drifter. I would have went with a Trident but got a nice deal on a used set up that included a Humminbird fishfinder, anchor trolley, flush mount rod holders, Scotty mounts in the center console and port side aft for a light/flag pole, Extrasport Osprey PFD, (used four times) and an Aquabound paddle w/ carbon fiber shaft.

I haven't splashed it yet. These past 2 weeks I've been hitting the Potomac for shad. (between Chain Bridge & Fletcher's). 5 trips, 2 hours average fishing time each time out, 3 successful and 2 not so good. Evening trips work best...!

Comment

hey john, looks like you got the bug, hope to see you on the water

Comment

Yes I do! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Weather looking iffy this weekend. Anyone going out on Sunday?

Comment

I'm not far from you in Arlington and I would like to go somewhere tomorrow if you're interested. I was thinking about going over and trying for some shad/snakeheads at chain bridge. Who knows maybe the rock will show up.

Let me know if you're interested.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Ah. I've made plans with the missus. Maybe can get out at dusk. Or, how about during the week?

For whatever reason I've had better luck for shad in the afternoon/evening. Last 2x been parking off Glebe under the GW Pkwy and working the VA side. That little creek is loaded with herring. Rock can't be far behind!

Comment

I'm from va too.

Welcome to the forum. Maryland is only a hop away and my brother just bought a place over the Bay Bridge. There is alot of knowlege on this board that I'm sure will help a VA kayaker....like me..The James River monster cats are as close as the MD stripers

Comment

J - I was there Sunday night, I'm guessing you're talking about premit run (sp?). If so, that's where I usually go or up to the concrete platform above the bridge. It was low tide last night so there wasn't much water around the creek and I could not find any herring. I was really hoping to though... If you're heading over there this week let me know and I'll try to meet you there.

My car is in the shop but I'm hoping to get it back and take my new boat to roach's run by the airport to test it out. Have you ever fished this stretch?

Comment

Redfish,
                        I'm planning to go tomorrow after work for sure. Maybe Thursday as well. (the missus is being really cool!) I'm gonna bring 2 rods. One for shad and another with some Storms for rock. Hope to meet you.

I don't know Roaches run. By airport I'm guessing Reagan National. Would love to explore that and help with testing!

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I hope to have my car back by Thursday, maybe we can paddle there or at gravely point on the other side of gw.

I should be there tomorrow and I will plan on the same setup. One for Shad and one for storms/herring if I can catch any.

I'll pm you my info.

Comment

Working...
                          X