Pohick Bay Striper - October 23 and 25 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay Striper - October 23 and 25 report

I made two short trips to Pohick Bay after work on October 23 and 25. I fished for snakehead mainly using top water lures. It looked fish are more active now. The water temp was still 65F. But the air temp fluctuated between 40-68F.
    I caught many LM on frogs, but no snakehead. I missed a huge snakehead strike in the lily pad area. That snakehead was about 3 foot long. I also saw a big bass (6-7lb) and another snakehead (3' long) struck baits.
    It seemed that Bass are very active now in the Fall. I don’t know much about finesse fishing or walk the dog techniques. So I mainly use frogs that don’t require practice. Strike king Rage Toad (Green Pumpkin Pearl Belly) works well here in here, Pohick Bay. I also tried chartreuse Pop Frog (by Z Man). It didn’t work at all. But it landed a 19 inch striper in the middle of the bay right after the sunset
    I never expected striper here. But now I know.
    If you live close by Pohick Bay Regional Park, and never fished here, try this place now. All you need is 5 frogs and 5/0 hooks (unweighted) and a large net for a large snakehead.
    I put a lot of efforts to make this video. Capturing a scene of casting, retrieving and setting hook is very difficult when using a regular camera. I carried/used two batteries for a 2.5 hour trip. This video will make you fish Pohick Bay:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ryn391rplrc
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-28-2011, 06:45 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Excellent video, Joe. Bass on topwater would be a blast. I'm going to visit my folks soon, so I'll have to take a trip out there. Too bad you missed the monster snakehead. You probably could've fed all your neighbors with it.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice video!! That will get you pumped up about Pohick! Went out to pohick about 6-7 times this year, you are right on the money with the place and the lures...Frogs, buzz and sinkos will usually catch some good fish...

Awesome to catch a striper... in Pohick no less!!

CB

Comment

Awesome! I really miss bass fishing, really wish I had time to fish right now...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great job Joe. I need to sneak away from work one day and fish down there.

Thanks for the video and report.

Comment

Great video Joe! Where did you launch from? Inside the park?

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
              Great video Joe! Where did you launch from? Inside the park?
              Inside park. There is a shore launch site at the east end of the park. There is a deposit box ($4.00 for shore launch) next to the main boat ramps.

The depth of water is about 6"- 4'. The guy on the video use a mushroom anchor with 10' line. so he could anchor quickly and stay in the place when he fished structures. I use my paddle as a kayak-stick because of the most of bottom is soft. I think 5/0 is better than 3/0 hook.

The sunset was 6:30PM. Get back to the lunch site immediately. It gets dark immediately after the sunset. The park closes after sunset.
              Joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I believe you can get an after sunset fishing pass, Kanvery set this up for us and I still have it in my truck. Striper in Pohick?? Looks like I need to get out there on some weekday trips with you again. Are the jet skis gone??
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  I believe you can get an after sunset fishing pass, Kanvery set this up for us and I still have it in my truck. Striper in Pohick?? Looks like I need to get out there on some weekday trips with you again. Are the jet skis gone??
                  Striper:
                  What a pleasant surprise! Perhaps I bring some bigger chartreuse swim-baits for the test

Snakehead:
                  Shy but still hits hard in the shallow weed/lily covered areas. I don't know the minimum water temp for snakehead

Jet Skiers:
                  I only met two. These two were OK. I am in process of converting one to a kayak-angler

I could not notify Jack, John and you because I couldn’t plan until 12:00PM due to my crazy work schedule

Kipto/CBBT

I am working very hard to take WED or THU off depending on the wind forecast. I am going. I am taking the blue Revo - I am buying on Monday. Thanks for the Revo tip.

I am going back to work. No Internet access for the next 6 hours.

joe

Comment

Glad it worked out for the Revo! If anyone else is thinking of joining the Hobie fleet, give Dennis a call at Backyard Boats in Annapolis. They are wrapping up their season and selling demos and new boats.

I may be able to go to Pohick or elsewhere next week but I can't take a day off. I am going to Mexico the week after but plan on fishing the M&G on the 12th or I may be able to make a trip to VA Beach area then. I would like to do high rise side or first island again and fish for tog and stripers.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X