Sit in or sit on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit in or sit on top

I really wanted a sit on top kayak, I wanted the mini malibu x...but time and cash did not allow me to get that type of kayak. I bought a sit in...so there may be some safety issues with sinking ect...I'm going to get the inflatable bladders to put in the front and back so it will not sink when I "don't get tipped over" but hey it's best to be ready...

What type of kayaks do most people on this forum have????
    just wondering
    Last edited by Dallison; 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM. Reason: grammer

I have a sit on top. If you fish lakes or rivers a sit in kayak will do the trick. However, I would not take one in the bay or ocean especially if its choppy with big swells. Im sure people do it all the time but i wouldnt feel comfortable having water enter the yak. Just my 2 cents.

what kind did you get?
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

You might want to get a spray skirt also, it might help keep the water out of the yak.
      I had a Pungo Classic sit in I used for a few years before getting my Pro Angler. The Pungo was great for small rivers and even the Potomac. Never felt comfortable going in the bay with the Pungo. Might have just been me, but with the Hobie Pro Angler no problem.

The inflatable bladders are not a bad idea in the event you go over.

Good luck

Comment

i have a sit on top. ive seen guys on the bay on sit ins, but i wouldnt feel comfortable in one either. i would definitely practice self rescue.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm going to

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
          You might want to get a spray skirt also, it might help keep the water out of the yak.
          I had a Pungo Classic sit in I used for a few years before getting my Pro Angler. The Pungo was great for small rivers and even the Potomac. Never felt comfortable going in the bay with the Pungo. Might have just been me, but with the Hobie Pro Angler no problem.

The inflatable bladders are not a bad idea in the event you go over.

Good luck
          Yeah I'm going to get the skirt...but I'm going to also get a sit on top for the Bay

Comment

Safety is #1

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
            i have a sit on top. ive seen guys on the bay on sit ins, but i wouldnt feel comfortable in one either. i would definitely practice self rescue.
            Yeah I will be practicing extensively in the Thompson Creek area long before actually going to the Bay Bridge area....even thought its a 5 minute drive it takes alot less to drown. I'm not going gung ho at this hobby. I'm going slow and SAFE..The Tidal James is my goal and I'm sure that can be rough

Comment

Working...
            X