Kipto Park, Sunday 10/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto Park, Sunday 10/23

After the M&G at South River, I drove home then drove to Norfolk to stay overnight.

Hit the water at 0815 hrs Sunday at Kipto Park. Nice morning. Calm water. Light breeze, in the 60's. Target fish: Tog and flounder. Wore my waders.

Worked along the perimeter of all ten wrecks. Used tog rig with quartered blue crab and held it just above the bottom. Must have worked the perimeter twice, all around. Lots of nibbles and baitstealers and some come-offs. No togs, but didn't get skunked either (caught toad, sea bass, blue crab).

Dragged squid and a bucktail/squid for couple of hours between shore and the wrecks. Again, lots of nibbles, but no hook up.

A fellow yaker caught one sheephead. A boater said he caught nothing but the day before was better. I overheard the pier fisherman, and they said it was real slow. They caught a few shorts.

Lots of gulls, pidgeons and pelicans around the wrecks. Anyone get bombarded by one? Don't ask me

Came in after 6 pm. This is my record being on the water. Ten straight hours. Water was so calm I laid back in the Outback and took a casual snooze.

I was going to stay Sunday night in Norfolk to fish HRBT Monday morning, but was beat after fishing at the M&G Saturday, driving to Norfolk in the afternoon and evening, and fishing all day at Kipto. Went home Sunday night.

First time driving over the fish-laden CBBT and fishing at Kipto. Nice day on the water. Sunset was nice too
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice report. Sorry it wasn't a better day for you at Kipto. Hopefully it will start to pick up soon with the big stripers.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Did you go inside the ships? Those nibbles you got around the ships were probably those quick togs if the quartered crab disappeared from the hook.

I might have a chance in the next 2 weeks to try it again. I wonder if the flounder still around.

Comment

too bad the fish didnt cooperate. tog bite is very subtle. wow what a marathon

Comment

Wreck #1, the northern most wreck, is the only one that is decent to enter (see pic). Didn't stay inside long. It was a bit intimidating with the hanging rusted steel rods, jagged concrete and unsteady waves. Didn't get any nibbles there so I left.

I figured if the taps were subtle, and they were togs, then they were probably too small to be keepers (14" or larger). I did get hook ups on the taps, but they turned out to be toad and sea bass.

My guess is the flounders are around, just got to catch the right time.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, you sure are putting in a lot of time on the water this month! I'm hoping to fish down there around thanksgiving, but that depends on how fast I get my replacement hull and get that all rigged up...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Trying to take advantage of what's around now, Ryan. I think togs and flounder will taper off soon. Next month the focus will be on stripers.

Remember, winter is coming and we would hard pressed to do yak fishing for several months until Spring.

Comment

It sounds like my typical day at Kipto. I am heading for Kipto Soon. Thanks for shring.

joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                X