Hobie trolling motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie trolling motor

Just saw this on another forum and thought i would post a link.
    Nice alternative for a trolling motor using the mirage drive plug.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8216...nt-motor-setup

Might have to try this over the winter. When I got my outback I found a 2nd plug and a 2nd water bottle bottle inside the hull along with 2 pieces of foam about 30" long and about 4x6. While im posting this .... Is that foam supposed to stay in there?
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
    Just saw this on another forum and thought i would post a link.
    Nice alternative for a trolling motor using the mirage drive plug.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8216...nt-motor-setup

Might have to try this over the winter. When I got my outback I found a 2nd plug and a 2nd water bottle bottle inside the hull along with 2 pieces of foam about 30" long and about 4x6. While im posting this .... Is that foam supposed to stay in there?
    The German setup Torquedo seems to be the best option for Hobies electicfied- I ask why? If the top speed is 4- 4.5 mph with a trolling motor, the turbo fins and a brisk peddle gives about the same speed...I know we can't peddle forever and all, but adding a trolling motor makes the yak a "powered boat" under the DNR regulations and as such must be registered with the state and you have to pay for the numbers....once registered, you have numbers on the hull. Seems to me like defeating the purpose of a kayak to begin with-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      The German setup Torquedo seems to be the best option for Hobies electicfied- I ask why? If the top speed is 4- 4.5 mph with a trolling motor, the turbo fins and a brisk peddle gives about the same speed...I know we can't peddle forever and all, but adding a trolling motor makes the yak a "powered boat" under the DNR regulations and as such must be registered with the state and you have to pay for the numbers....once registered, you have numbers on the hull. Seems to me like defeating the purpose of a kayak to begin with-
      I totally disagree .......... it doesn't defeat the purpose ........ it just gives another option that can keep you out of some serious trouble and make your trip more pleasurable ....... I sure wish I had one 2 weeks ago .......... peddling a mile or so against a 25+ mph wind and a 1-2ft head on chop almost killed me and would have loved to have an engine at that time. Any worse and I would have been in trouble. Had the new Yak because we were supposed to outfit it before we went fishing but didn't get the chance. No anchor or anchor trolley.

Sorry but this purpose of a Yak stuff REALLY gets me going.
      You Yak your way and I'll Yak my way ........... as long as we Yak together .....

As far as the Torqeedo ........ I hope to get the ones I have mounted soon. I'm definitely buying 1. Oh and Hook1 has them on their website ....... 10% discount on it isn't shabby ..........

Comment

For that price you might as well get the evolve. It's nicely integrated with hobie kayaks. I just I could find it at discount some where.

Comment

For the price of the evolve or torquedo, i think i'd rather try the DIY setup through my spare plug with a $100 saltwater trolling motor 1st.
          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Looks like this may be where the guy got his idea from.

http://stealthserpent.com/
            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Just a side note, do not get a trolling motor rated less than 40lbs IF you plan to fish anywhere with strong current. Places such as OC inlet, CBBT, Fishermans inlet, Roosevelt inlet, etc. The reason being that the motor will not keep up well with these currents. The Evole is nice, im thinking of getting one aswell and IMHO the price tage is work the product.
              Those Foam blocks are supposed to stay in, If for some reason your kayak is full of water they will keep it floating (kinda). They also help when you have water in your kayak but disrupting the side to side sloshing action which will improve stability if infact you have water in the hull.

SIDE NOTE: I installed Hobie's horizontal rod holder on my Revo today and it is awesome.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The cost of the evolve is really about the battery and look of the setup. You are paying the premium for the 15 lb total weight (battery included) and the nice clean integration of the setup. If you think it's worth it, then go for it. If not, save your money and build something like it for cheaper.

I'm interested in it increase the distance. With it, I won't hesitate to go out to point no point from St Jerome's or do the first island after driving 3 hours. I'm lazy so I have to pay for it .

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                  For that price you might as well get the evolve. It's nicely integrated with hobie kayaks. I just I could find it at discount some where.
                  First ....... the Evolve is made by Torqeedo but it has a different prop so it can fit in the well .......... it's REALLY nice but I hear the prop is less efficient than the Torqeedo and the evolve is $300 more expensive. Also, I would rather have it on the back of the yak ....... less chance of damage due to running aground and more efficient ........... Shadyfisher85 has his mounted on the back ..........

As I said, Hook1 has a 10% discount for us.

Comment

For the price of the evolve or torquedo, i think i'd rather try the DIY setup through my spare plug with a $100 saltwater trolling motor 1st.
                    ......... and you get what you pay for .......... I went that route ....... bought the Islandhopper mount and a saltwater Motorguide 45 lb thrust and a 30 lb thrust and a large cap marine battery ............ had between 700 and 800 into it and it's not what I want.

THe battery and the engine together weigh over 100 lbs and you only get about 4.5 mph. Battery takes up the space I need for my Hobie baitwell and has to be tied down pretty well or it will shift ........ almost turtled me the 1st time I tried it and I'm in a PA ......... also the side mount has a wide turning radius ...... etc etc etc ..........

The Bass Yaks looks great but that's still
                    I didn't want the well motor because they are usually way underpowered to fit the opening and it takes away the mirage drive. I wanted the Mirage drive to act as an assist incase I got into some bad currents .......

Now I have a Torqeedo that I haven't installed yet but have talked to enough people that have them ....... and here's what you get ......

A system that weighs less than 15 lbs with the battery

A system that is German engineered for efficiency down to the prop

A system that has an infinite speed control both forwards and back

A system that has equal energy forward and back

A system that has a lever (like a speed boat) control that is remote

A system that has 2 kill switches incase you fall overboard and another one if the yak turns over ........

A system that takes the battery energy down to less than 10% of a charge and stays full power until it gets there as opposed to a lead acid battery where the engine starts to slow at around 40% of reserve and quits at 30%

etc etc etc ..........

Yeah ....... it's expensive ........

Comment

How long will the toqueedo setup run on a charge and at what speed?
                      I wouldnt think if the whole setup is only 15 lbs, the battery cant be that strong?

Is the torqueedo and evolve 2 different product?
                      In my searches ive only seen an evolve torqueedo drive.
                      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

The guy that did the DIY setup posted a video of his 1st outing.
                        speeds at 5mph against current, 9 mph with current and 7 mph across current.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8221...trolling-motor
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

nice set up that guy has in the vid! He's zipping right along quite nicely!

I must say that I was impressed with the small size & weight of shadyfisher's torqueedo battery. Lithium Ion (albeit very expensive) is the way to go if you're looking to avoid the heft of traditional batteries.

I plan on converting to a lithium ion set up in the near future myself
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Can you use a step-down transformer to use the torqueedo battery with a minn koto motor?
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

How long will the toqueedo setup run on a charge and at what speed?
                              I wouldnt think if the whole setup is only 15 lbs, the battery cant be that strong?

Is the torqueedo and evolve 2 different product?
                              In my searches ive only seen an evolve torqueedo drive.
                              the battery is a lithium battery which accounts for its light weight high output. They are really nice batteries.
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X