Kayak wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak wheels

After seeing many different kayaks and how useful the different types of wheel sets were at the Meet & Greet, I think I should get myself a set of wheels. When I look online, I see lots of models with a wide range of prices. I ask the members here for your thoughts on which brands/models you like and why you like them. Also if you have experience with a brand that you did not like, that would be helpful too.

As a related question, do any of you have an extra set or an older set of wheels that you would like to sell?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

It might be hard to find a scupper cart for your Manta Ray. My Manta Ray (a Liquid Logic, before Native acquired the hull) had really narrow scuppers that were close together. The folding-type kayak carts didn't work well with the hull and kept sliding off. I prefer scupper carts because it's easy to put the wheels on while the yak is in the water.

If you make your own, the 24 cm polyurethane wheels are awesome:

http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php

Stay away from the PVC wheels on that website. Over half the ones I bought from them, either singly or on a cart, came from the factory with a leak. The rest blew out when I loaded up the yak.

The "tuff tires" on that site are probably good, too. I have a solid tire for my wheelbarrow that's tougher than the rest of the wheelbarrow.

I have a folding frame that you can have, but it doesn't have wheels. It's the old version of the mini kayak cart on the wheeleez page. The 24cm wheels won't fit it width-wise, but the tuff tires might. I can meet you the next time I'm in Annapolis if you want to try it out (and we can check out your pickerel haunts ). It's one of the ones that didn't work on my Manta Ray, though. The frame is nice because it's pretty corrosion resistant, has quick release clips for the wheels, and fits in the front hatch. Even the new version with the 24cm wheels will fit in the front hatch (I have the newer cart for my Tarpon).

Anyway, That's just my $0.02. Give me a holler if you're interested in trying out the old frame I have.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

You can also make a cart pretty easily out of pvc pipe. I made a cart for my sit in kayak using pvc, some old push lawnmower wheels and 1/4" stainless roundbar as the axel. Generally the hardest part is finding the wheels...

For my Hobie I just have the hobie cart.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

i was just looking at this guy's site. he sells from site and on ebay.

http://www.kayakcorner.com/kayakcartconstruction.htm

don't know anything about quality of his product but seems like a great guy, nice website.

Comment

Bill -

Thanks for you offer. After seeing the link that Southerly posted, I may work up the courage to build some PVC wheels myself. I already have a set of heavy lawnmower wheels. I would need some PVC fittings, a piece of all thread, and some nuts. I tried putting a piece of 3/4" PVC into one of the scupper holes. It fit well and seemed pretty stable.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's cool. I'm terrible at making things, so I would spend as much in failed attempts as I would on a pre-made cart.

I forgot to mention that the 24cm wheels are good for going over sand, grass, gravel, and pavement, and they seem to hold air well.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Here you are John.

Comment

Grady-Black - i like those wheels. if you don't mind; where did you find those?

i was checking out the wheeleze site and harbor freight so far. i haven't decided what to do but tend to get sucked into the DIY.

ps - Ron (kayakcorner) gave me a price on his large wheels, but is offering a discount on the assembled cart that is hard to ignore.

Comment

The wheels came off of a Mattel's Bigwheel.

Comment

The downside to the wheeleez wheels is that they're expensive, and the shipping is crazy high. They have a news letter that sometimes has coupons, and I've clicked off the site and had a popup window come up and offer free shipping. So, you might be able to get a bit of a discount if you're not in a hurry.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I stopped at Home Depot this morning to buy all the parts I needed to build a set of wheels that looks like the one Grady Black showed. My cost was just over $20 (does not include the large wheels, which I already have). This is the same style as shown on the website posted by Southerly.

Assuming I get the measurements right the first time, I should have enough PVC pipe and electrical conduit (used inside the pipe for stability) to build a second cart. I will report back after I make the first one.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Hard to beat the prices of the wheels at harbour frieght.
                        I picked up a pair of 10" pneumatic tires for $5.99 a piece.
                        For that price, If they start rusting, It doesnt cost much to replace them.
                        They also have solid tires with zinc plated rims for $6.99
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          I stopped at Home Depot this morning to buy all the parts I needed to build a set of wheels that looks like the one Grady Black showed. My cost was just over $20 (does not include the large wheels, which I already have). This is the same style as shown on the website posted by Southerly.

Assuming I get the measurements right the first time, I should have enough PVC pipe and electrical conduit (used inside the pipe for stability) to build a second cart. I will report back after I make the first one.
                          John, what did you get to use for the end piece that goes at the end of the bottom tube right next to the wheel. That site said to use a 1/2 inch reducer and i couldnt find anything at home depot like that, that would slip over the 3/4" tube. All i found was a reducer that had a threaded end and my 5/8th rod wont go through it. Figured i would just drill it out larger and cut the threaded end off. Or just go right against the T (with a insert inside it) and have a washer on both sides of the wheel.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                            John, what did you get to use for the end piece that goes at the end of the bottom tube right next to the wheel. That site said to use a 1/2 inch reducer and i couldnt find anything at home depot like that, that would slip over the 3/4" tube. All i found was a reducer that had a threaded end and my 5/8th rod wont go through it. Figured i would just drill it out larger and cut the threaded end off. Or just go right against the T (with a insert inside it) and have a washer on both sides of the wheel.
                            The piece I got is called a 3/4 x 1/2 adapter (part no. 436-074). It looks similar to, but not exactly like the ones in the photo. First a small length of 3/4" pipe is glued into the T fitting. The small, threaded end of the adapter slides tightly into the 3/4" pipe (maybe too tightly). I may need to sand off the threads to get a better fit. The 1/2" all thread runs nicely through the narrow end of the adaptor.

To improve stability, I may make the wheelbase wider than the scupper hole separation. My all-thread is 24" long. Once I have the system dry-assembled, I will experiment with different wheel spacing, up to and including the entire length of all-thread. Then I will glue it together.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

"The wheels came off of a Mattel's Bigwheel."

i thought they might be. you know, you could get going real fast. i mean as fast as you can. and then turn to the side all at one time, and make that power slide skid sound. now, that would be cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X