Rigging Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging Questions

Im ready to start ordering some parts to start rigging my new outback and have a few questions........

Im going with just a FF instead of a gps/ff combo.
    I have the navionics app on my smart phone and the gps on that looks to have better detail than the smaller/cheaper combo units. My battery life on my phone is horrible with the gps on so I wanted to add a 12volt outlet for the phone. Has anyone done that?? Also what type of mount should i use for the phone? (HTS EVO 4G) And is there a small dry pouch that will seal with a cord coming off the phone?

Debating on a mighty mount & screwball combo or the flush mount scotty setup and was wondering if anyone has used the scotty locking flushmount. Are they more secure than the regular flush mount? Does the regular flushmount even lock the rod holder in place or does it just slip down in the hole?

Was thinking of mounting the FF on the sail mast hole with a wedge mount ball. Will it get in the way of pedaling there? anyway of having it go up higher and towards me from that position. Some type of adjustable L bracket maybe?

I'm sure i'll have more questions but I'll start with these.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I used the wedge mount in the sail post I like it...not in the way at all pedaling and ram dos make longer mounts if you would like it higher...(nice thing is one less hole to drill)
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Couple of things. There is really no use for the 12v outlet. I have a feeling you will barely use that app. I have it on my phone too DROID. Only issue I see with mounting the ff to the sail mast is that you would need to lean all the way over the mirage drive to play with it. As far as rod holders flush is the way to go. Also look at some of the pvc rod holders people have been fashioning. Please fish before you rig, you will learn what you need and where you need it.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        Couple of things. There is really no use for the 12v outlet. I have a feeling you will barely use that app. I have it on my phone too DROID. Only issue I see with mounting the ff to the sail mast is that you would need to lean all the way over the mirage drive to play with it. As far as rod holders flush is the way to go. Also look at some of the pvc rod holders people have been fashioning. Please fish before you rig, you will learn what you need and where you need it.
        Yeah, you're right, Pinch- I fished twice out of my Outback with a clean boat before drilling a hole in it- helped me a lot figure where- of course some things are dictated by the layout of the Outback and access covers to get your arm under the deck to tighten up bolts...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

3rd on the fish before drill suggestion. i have FF in mast hole. its post comes up, then 45 back towards me a little and is not in way of pedaling. winds up near and above my toes at end of stroke but will never touch.

i can reach it while my feet are on pedals but it's a simple unit and doesn't need much fiddling. my mount is pvc pipe and i experimented before settling with position. i could actually have had it much closer to me but it felt like it was invading my space. as it is, i still have view of bow, rod-swinging space and am satisfied with its location. (pics on other thread)

maybe you could mock up something, sit in kayak, find position that suits you, then measure and order parts?

for me, i am missing not having CP function (powerboat has one). i appreciate having track displayed to be able to come back to FF marks/area w/confidence vs dead reckoning on a windy wavy day. not to mention the contours.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
            3rd on the fish before drill suggestion. i have FF in mast hole. its post comes up, then 45 back towards me a little and is not in way of pedaling. winds up near and above my toes at end of stroke but will never touch.

i can reach it while my feet are on pedals but it's a simple unit and doesn't need much fiddling. my mount is pvc pipe and i experimented before settling with position. i could actually have had it much closer to me but it felt like it was invading my space. as it is, i still have view of bow, rod-swinging space and am satisfied with its location. (pics on other thread)

maybe you could mock up something, sit in kayak, find position that suits you, then measure and order parts?

for me, i am missing not having CP function (powerboat has one). i appreciate having track displayed to be able to come back to FF marks/area w/confidence vs dead reckoning on a windy wavy day. not to mention the contours.
            I mounted mine on the front hatch with a Ram one inch ball mount- same as Southerly's post about position- I have the Cuda 350 Smap combo FF/GPS unit- it doesn't require much either- one consideration I had was self rescue- I wanted the right side of my kayak completely free of anything so in case it ever turtled it would allow a clean re-entry without a bunch of things in the way of a wet dog like me at the party-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I will definitely be doing some fishing before deciding on locations of everything.
              I'm off Monday so will be taking it out locally to do some fishing.

The navionics app on my phone also lets me mark spots and has tracking & routes.
              Its actually a great backup to my GPS on my boat. With my HTS EVO 4G the screen is large enough to do what i need.
              Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 10-23-2011, 10:46 AM.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X