rainbowtrout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rainbowtrout

Decided to try trout fishing before the season opens for rockfish.Bought myself a cheap ultralight at Kmart,rigged it with 6lb. test,trout hook ,splitshot and Berkly scented eggs.Hit Northwestbranch stream at rt.29.First 20 min. I got my first rainbow. After that I started my hike fishing pools,all the pools that looked like they would produce didn't.Probably because they had been fished out.I hiked and fished for about 4 hours.Caught 3 more.those fish are pretty fiesty,they put up a good fight.I had a good time catching rainbows on the ultra light.I will be eating trout with lemon edges this week.

thats awesome! i havent been trout fishing this year, but hope to one day after work. what were you using? ive recently just used powerbait, but ive kinda jigged it on the bottom and have caught a few. i love using rooster tail's but havent had the best success with them in md.

when i was a kid, rockville, md used to have a trout tournament, basically in my backyard at wootton mills park sponsored in part by american legion post. man, those were good times. i got 1st place(not grand prize) and 3rd place, but basically bc i would scout the area after they stocked them so i knew where the bigger fish were. lol. One year, i knew where the biggest fish was in the area, i spent ALL morning trying to get him to bite, since you could litterally see him sitting there. well, i got sick of waiting, so through some rocks in to spook him so no one would catch it. well, saw my friend heading that way, so i told him about it, basically saying don't bother, and next thing you know, he put the biggest ball of powerbait on the hook, the size of a large bobber, and he's hooked and he got grand prize. spooked fish are still hungry..lol..

man, that was when i was 13 or so...good times!

sorry about the story, but you just reminded me about it!

i think i may hit up seneca creek sometime this week after work...

do you filet the trout? how do you cook it? i always had it cooked whole as a kid and remember it had so many bones...

probably been 15 years since i had trout
    sigpic

Comment

They can be tough to fillet because of the small bones, there's another method out there that is similar though called butterflying. I think there are tons of youtube videos about it.

I used to exclusively trout fish and most of the time I would just cut the fins and the heads off and then cook them in foil on the grill. Once they were done, peel the foil back, grab the spine and sort of tug gently, got rid of most bones.

I also leave the skin on for my trout, not like rock.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

butter garlic any good?
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I used Berkley Powerbait scented eggs but it looks like most people use the powerbait dough.I saw a couple trout chase the egg so i tried a small rooster tail but no hits.Its funny I got in the zone, where your concentration is void of everything else but fishing, in 2to 3feet of water in a stream no wider than 10 feet.I wish I could transfer this zen concentration in other parts of my life I might accomplish something.Anyway to cook the fish I am keeping it simple,pan fried ,dash of black pepper,sea salt,lemon wedges in the center,vegetables, wildrice and some white wine.If you guys go,this week they are stocking heavily.Don't forget to pick up the white wine.

Comment

Working...
          X